Toronto Rogers Centre Renovations | ?m | ?s | Toronto Blue Jays | Populous

I appreciate the effort, but I think the old style brick kind of clashes with the rest of the stadium. The green seats actually look pretty good, though. And I think grass is going to be such a significant improvement, at least visually.

If the Blue Jays make it to the World Series, why don't they temporarily put the TORONTO sign, from the Pan Am Games, on top of the middle of the outfield wall. Why does it seem to be empty of seats anyways?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batter's_eye
The batter's eye or batter's eye screen is a solid-colored, usually dark area beyond the center field wall of a baseball stadium, that is the visual backdrop directly in the line of sight of a baseball batter, while facing the pitcher and awaiting a pitch. This dark surface allows the batter to see the pitched ball against a sharply contrasted and uncluttered background. Its primary purpose is the safety of the batter.

The use of a batter's background has been standard in baseball (as well as cricket) since at least the late 19th century. The batter's eye performs the same role at a baseball venue as the sight-screen does at a cricket venue, except that a cricket sight-screen is usually white in order to contrast with the dark red cricket ball. Alternatively a black screen is used to contrast the white Limited Overs cricket ball.

· Change the name the stadium name – I realize with Rogers owning the stadium, it will never be named the Skydome again. I would however love to see them name it Rogers Field as opposed to Centre.

View attachment 54667

I totally agree with that, every team uses stadium or field and our brain trust thought it was a good idea to call it Rogers Centre. Paul Godfrey who was the president at that time made the decision to name it. Someone who never would have had any jobs if it wasn't for his friends, unfortunately Paul Beeston didn't have to guts to change the name to what it should be to Rogers Field or Rogers Stadium, hopefully the new guy will change it.

Another thing you should add to your list is changing the angle or slope of the seats, I forget what it should be but I believe it is 45 degree angle which the seats at Rogers Field isn't.

When did Coke's contract in the Rogers Centre ended? The last time I visited the Rogers Centre, Coke was the official non-alcoholic beverage provider.

As far as I know, it still is.

As for the name, I believe calling it Rogers Centre forces people to say the name "Rogers". By abbreviating it, fans will just end up dropping the Rogers, and calling it the "Dome". Using "Field", or "Stadium" is probably a better compromise.

As for the slope of the seats, this definitely could be something they change. Keep in mind, this was (is) a multi purpose stadium, so the seats had to be the way they were.

When did Coke's contract in the Rogers Centre ended? The last time I visited the Rogers Centre, Coke was the official non-alcoholic beverage provider.

lol fixed it for you

Renovated Rogers Centre.jpeg

Attachments

• Renovated Rogers Centre.jpeg
    Renovated Rogers Centre.jpeg
    860.2 KB · Views: 6,303
If the Blue Jays make it to the World Series, why don't they temporarily put the TORONTO sign, from the Pan Am Games, on top of the middle of the outfield wall. Why does it seem to be empty of seats anyways?

all major league teams have to have the very middle of the stadium empty and the rules specifically called batters eye and is done because it would give a unfair advantage to the pitchers making it difficult to track the ball and thats why you'll see many of these sections black or a dark tone to help track the white baseball

I have no problem with brick being added and the stadium being made more humane, but making it look "old school" would be tacky IMO. The stadium was designed to be the opposite of old school and any renos should embrace that. It's the anti-Wrigley Field. Tacking on historical details would be like adding gargoyles to the CN Tower.

As for the name, I believe calling it Rogers Centre forces people to say the name "Rogers". By abbreviating it, fans will just end up dropping the Rogers, and calling it the "Dome".
That's what I was thinking, and I'm sure Rogers was too. Look at the Calgary Flames arena. It's called Scotiabank Saddledome, but locals never say the full name. They just say Saddledome and the Scotiabank name is totally lost. The Saddledome name in Calgary has a similar cachet as SkyDome in Toronto.

I do like the name Rogers Field though. And Rogers Stadium. Those are generic enough names that everyone would have to say Rogers for people to know what they're talking about, but they're much better for a baseball stadium than Rogers Centre.

I would be content with Rogers Field myself. Better yet if SkyDome were the name of the building (baseball field, hotel, restaurants, public square) and Rogers Field the name of the baseball facility.

... and please get rid of that Ted Rogers statue. Put it up at Rogers HQ. He's not a baseball personality and I'm offended by the statue every time I see it.

I don't understand why his statue is located where it is. He has essentially zero connection to the Blue Jays and the SkyDome. He is famous for his own company, so it would be more poignant to have his statue placed adjacent to the Rogers headquarters; that is his legacy, not his brief ownership of the Dome before he died.

Back