News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     2 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 637     0 

Regent Park Block 28 Towns (TCHC, 3s, Van Elslander & Associates)

ChesterCopperpot

Member Bio
Reaction score
Block 27 - the stretch between Sumach and River on the south side of Dundas will house a 100-unit midrise building and also a 200-unit highrise building

Block 28 will be 24 townhouse units just north of the new athletic grounds and south of Block 27

http://www.torontohousing.ca/webfm_send/10804/1?

8uszklI.jpg

So that strip is meant for the north edge of the Regent Park Athletic Grounds, with the soccer field/cricket pitch combo just off to the right of the first image. Van Elslander + Associates Architects design for the towns.

Yeah.. I'm going to have to side with those who aren't feeling these town houses.

It's a shame that Regent Park didn't receive visionary planning like the Honest Ed site...

I've said this before, but something about this development reminds me of Mississauga or Markham. Yes, that's a bad thing.

I like the townhouses. If they turn out anything like those built during the first phase of Regent Park revitalization, and there's no reason to suggest they won't, then they will be just as awesome.

The Honest Ed's site is one block, Regent Park is a whole neighbourhood. A new neighbourhood that is correcting some of the past mistakes of the "visionary planning" of that era.

There's nothing about the Regent Park revitalization that says Mississauga or Markham. How many master planned communities in Markham or Mississauga - or any other suburb - combine condos with market-rate rentals, seniors housing, affordable housing and RGI housing, new community and aquatic centres, and retail with employment opportunities dedicated for the local residents? Not to mention very attractive and distinctive, quality architecture throughout each phase. Compare Daniels' MCC development vs. Regent Park. There's a huge difference between the two, with the latter being far superior on many levels.

I like the townhouses. If they turn out anything like those built during the first phase of Regent Park revitalization, and there's no reason to suggest they won't, then they will be just as awesome.

The Honest Ed's site is one block, Regent Park is a whole neighbourhood. A new neighbourhood that is correcting some of the past mistakes of the "visionary planning" of that era.

There's nothing about the Regent Park revitalization that says Mississauga or Markham. How many master planned communities in Markham or Mississauga - or any other suburb - combine condos with market-rate rentals, seniors housing, affordable housing and RGI housing, new community and aquatic centres, and retail with employment opportunities dedicated for the local residents? Not to mention very attractive and distinctive, quality architecture throughout each phase. Compare Daniels' MCC development vs. Regent Park. There's a huge difference between the two, with the latter being far superior on many levels.

Well, it's my opinion.. and actually I think it's because it's a masterplanned community... much like the downtowns of those suburbs are masterplanned communities... it doesn't feel like I'm in a city or very urban. Also, I know that the Honest Ed's site is one block, which makes the development of Regent Park even more lacklustre in my eyes... Yes, it's definitely an improvement to what was there; however I don't measure success that way.

The "quality" of the architecture is questionable... I think the Park Place towers look great; but I know that a few of the buildings have had quality issues (and I'm not even talking about the interiors, which is a whole other issue).

You really do have to give it some time. They're what half way through the revitalization? I think the area looks way more urban than suburban. I think it's the "newness" that makes the area feel suburban to some.

I think a lot of the projects are very well done and there is a lot of urban touches. We have to wait maybe 10-20 years before judging the entire revitalization.

Liberty Village used to look like a suburb too...now it doesn't.

I'm curious to hear about the Park Place towers as they look pretty nice inside and out. As far as quality, this is an issue with damn near every new build in the city.....the Park Place towers are gorgeous.

Was about to say the same thing KingEast...that virtually every new condo building has 'issues' at birth. Fortunately, One Park Place has very few (elevator and fire alarm issues notwithstanding). And yes, they are terrific-looking inside and out, with quality finishes.

I'd also say that the area is decidedly more urban than 'sub'-urban. And some of this goes beyond bricks and mortar. There are many examples. The large 'central' park next to the acclaimed aquatic centre (perhaps this park feels a little suburban due to its size? - but elbow room and a central meeting place was distinctly lacking in RP) with the large northern playground, and meeting places where weekly film nights and Farmers' Markets are held. The synergies of many arts groups within Paintbox/Daniel's Spectrum. Walk by in the evening, and there's often live music or other social gatherings within the Paintbox Bistro. The community gardens that are sprouting up. A community oven! The beautiful brickwork on/along Regent Park Boulevard. The new public art (and lit at night!). The green roofs atop the condos. And with new retail gradually opening up, the area is becoming more animated. Overall, the new RP gets a 'like' from me.

Townhomes in Block 28 going up quickly....

RP3.1.jpg
RP3.2.jpg
RP3.3.jpg

Attachments

• RP3.1.jpg
    RP3.1.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 713
  • RP3.2.jpg
    RP3.2.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 739
  • RP3.3.jpg
    RP3.3.jpg