News   Mar 28, 2024
 1.2K     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 613     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 896     0 

Toronto East Bayfront: Aitken Place Park | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

It's good to see they're thinking about features to attract people and make them want to spend time in the park. Lounge seating on the urban porch and atop the knoll should attract people if they maintain good sight lines to the lake. People will also enjoy the lawn in the summer. Kids might like the fountain. The wavy path looks like it'll force people to do unnecessary walking, which is problematic.

When I saw the plans with the wavy line for the park path, I was concerned they would build an aesthetically attractive but ultimately underutilized space like June Callwood Park or Canada Square. Fortunately, it looks like they're heading in the right direction by designing the park with reasons for people to visit on an ordinary day.

One important factor that may be overlooked is the quality of the surrounding buildings. If the condos end up looking mediocre with blank walls or cheap materials facing the park, the public space will be less attractive. Of course, they can't leave it in shadows for much of the day, either.

The wavy path looks like it'll force people to do unnecessary walking, which is problematic.

In one thread, you complain that accessibility isn't being accommodated (Waterfront bridges), and here, you are complaining that the one feature intended to serve people with disabilities is problematic?

Jeez, there really is no pleasing you is there?

Is it really for accessibility, or just to add visual interest? The knoll doesn't seem very steep, though it's hard to tell from the drawings. If it was designed that way for accessibility, then I support it.

Is it really for accessibility, or just to add visual interest? The knoll doesn't seem very steep, though it's hard to tell from the drawings. If it was designed that way for accessibility, then I support it.

It was definitely intended to make the slope accessible. It was in some of the earlier QA's during the design process.

I love that they didn't ignore winter usage. The sled 'hill' may be a little underwhelming for anyone over three but the tree lights throughout the park will be twinkly inviting on cold winter nights.

Can someone who was at the Design Review Panel meeting last night give us an update on what was proposed for this park?

Yes.

The presentation covered a number of tweaks since the last version of the design. I underscored the word tweaks to emphasize that there have been no major changes… but there were quite a number of small changes to refine the materials, a couple of moves re: elevation of the "porch" front of the park, the position of the shelter, etc. Overall, the design is still very much recognizable and I expect with most recent slides will surface on the Waterfront Toronto website in the near future.

East Bayfront Community Update Meeting

TUESDAY
DECEMBER 3
06:30pm - 08:30pm

George Brown Waterfront Campus, Room 237, 51 Dockside Drive, Toronto, ON M5A 0B6
Contact/RSVP:
info@waterfrontoronto.ca
Phone:
416-214-1344

The revitalization of East Bayfront – a formerly industrial part of our waterfront between Lower Jarvis Street and Parliament Street – is well underway. Join Waterfront Toronto on December 3 for an update on progress in the area.

During the meeting, you’ll have an opportunity to learn more about the new, 13-acre Bayside Toronto mixed-use development from Hines and Tridel. You’ll also hear from landscape architects, West 8 + DTAH, who will share plans for interim improvements to Queens Quay Boulevard East, which include a new stretch of Martin Goodman Trail, trees and other plantings. In addition, Waterfront Toronto will provide a general update on other projects underway in East Bayfront and across the waterfront. A question and answer session will follow the presentations and we look forward to your comments.

TTC: 6 Bay bus to Dockside Drive at Queens Quay East or the 75 Sherbourne bus to Lower Sherourne St. and Queens Quay.
Parking: Paid parking is available at George Brown Waterfront Campus, 51 Dockside Drive
Accessibility: Fully accessible
THIS MEETING WAS IN 2013!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Back