News   Apr 16, 2024
 681     3 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 476     3 

Toronto Ridiculous NIMBYism thread

AlvinofDiaspar

Member Bio
Reaction score
In light of the various cases of NIMBYism that borders on the asinine, here is a new thread to deposit choice examples. One from the Star just now:

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2015/07/07/left-field-brewery-called-very-bad-neighbours.html

Since April, Mandie and Mark Murphy have been selling craft beer from their tiny Leslieville brewery. Flanked by old brick warehouses on a narrow laneway, the Left Field Brewery has become something of a community hub, with locals buying bottles and sipping suds from noon to 9 p.m. But for a handful of neighbors whose backyards face the laneway, the sounds of chatter and laughter wafting from the brewery’s open garage door are proving too much to bear.

“We were delighted when we found out that they were coming into our back lane,” says Amélie Waddell, whose leafy backyard sits directly opposite the brewery. “It never occurred to me that noise was going to be an issue.”

Waddell, currently spending her days at home with her 6-month-old baby, says she didn’t expect to overhear a cacophony of conversations every weekend.

“The problem is the garage door that they keep open,” she says. “They’re being very bad neighbours.”

Waddell and several other Ivy Ave. residents have taken their complaints about noise and increased traffic directly to the brewery. They say that not enough has been done to reduce weekend noise.

Complaining about weekend noise with a baby? Oh dear, that's going to get somewhere.

AoD

Bought a house in an industrial area, complain when a brewery moves in??? REALLY??? There's also a auto shop nearby, aren't there noises of power tools etc???

Having read up a lot on GTAA/Pearson Airports noise issues, I feel that installing noise monitoring stations are somewhat pointless. Everyone has different sensitivity to noise (not just pure volume but also pitch, length, duration, and repetition) and saying "the noise meter says this" tends not to quell the more vocal critics. Not to mention the tendency to 'pick out' annoying sounds from the cacophony of the city, i.e. traffic driving by on Greenwood Dr no problem but should someone laugh loudly... good lord.

How can one crotchety neighbour get this much attention from a city councillor?!

Just read the Brewery's website. Unbelievable. Definitely stopping by this weekend if I have a chance.

Very tempted to 'loud talk' while I'm there, but it would just give them more grief.

In light of the various cases of NIMBYism that borders on the asinine, here is a new thread to deposit choice examples.

AoD

I like this. Here's an upvote.

Better yet, dont even visit the brewery and just have a phone conversation in front of this lady's house.

Can't do that (me likey beer too much) Oh, I'll be pulling up with tunes a blaring, and I'll remember to lock my doors several times (randomly) It honks everytime :)

This definitely belongs in here

http://www.citynews.ca/2015/06/24/t...lar-dream-home-spoiled-by-toronto-hydro-pole/

pole1.gif

pole2.gif

pole3.gif

I can already tell I'm going to love this thread :)

I don't think I've ever seen NIMBYism ANYWHERE as ridiculous as the hydro pole people.
Technically, they are NITVOMFYs. A hydro pole? Not in the vicinity of my front yard!

Back