News   Mar 28, 2024
 622     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 903     0 

"Mark thread as read" functionality

Tulse

Member Bio
Reaction score
Is there a way within Xenforo to mark a thread as read? I really liked that feature of the old forum system, as it made it very easy to see when there was new material in a given thread.

The "unread threads" search along with "mark all forums as read" was the best ways of reading this forum. Made it very quick and easy to scan the forum for new activity (updated threads, new threads, etc.). When done for that session, just mark as read...then the next time I came back it only showed me new stuff.

Subscribed thread / watched threads /etc. are cool too, but that only shows exactly what you have already chosen to follow.

"First unread" was great too.

The "Go to first unread message" button is still there and working fine (at least for me). It's the little blue button to the immediate right of the avatar of the thread starter.

All good suggestions here. Is there a way to see all new posts in one view instead of having to go to each forum? Maybe I missed that somewhere.

The "unread threads" search along with "mark all forums as read" was the best ways of reading this forum. Made it very quick and easy to scan the forum for new activity (updated threads, new threads, etc.). When done for that session, just mark as read...then the next time I came back it only showed me new stuff.

Ya, "unread threads" was my bookmark to the forums. Now it just gives me an error. From a quick look around, there does seem to be plugins to address this vB functionality for Xen

Wait...there's no way to mark a thread (or all threads) as read? That's a big loss of functionality. Frankly even the old forum's "mark as read" functionality for threads wasn't that great (other forums have "mark as read and return to forum" functionality, which basically just saves a step, since 90% of the time when I mark a thread as read I want to return to the forum view afterwards), but it was something at least.

I like how we can now mark forums as read, but does it have to take so long? One click to choose "Mark Forums Read" (not the most obvious selection if all you want to do is mark the current forum read), another click to choose "mark forums read" again, a surprisingly lengthy wait for it to actually mark the forum read, then you have to click again to return to the upper-level forum list. Not very user-friendly.

A couple of problems I seem to be am having with the new Xenforo system: The 'Go To First Unread' does not seem to work consistently - sometimes goes to other than the first unread post. Have to scroll back in the thread to see if there are other posts which I may have missed. Does not happen consistently, but more than just once in a while.

Secondly - coordination between the Last Message information in the forum thread summary page and the actual most recent postings sometimes appears to break down - especially, but not always, when the most recent post on the summary page is from a member who I have flagged to Ignore. I know in one case I posted a response to what was the most recent comment in a thread, only to find that Craig had also responded with a comment - time stamped earlier than mine, but which was not showing when I initially viewed the thread.

Anyone else having these problems - any expectation on when they might be resolved?

Thanks,

Andrew

A couple of problems I seem to be am having with the new Xenforo system: The 'Go To First Unread' does not seem to work consistently - sometimes goes to other than the first unread post. Have to scroll back in the thread to see if there are other posts which I may have missed. Does not happen consistently, but more than just once in a while.

Secondly - coordination between the Last Message information in the forum thread summary page and the actual most recent postings sometimes appears to break down - especially, but not always, when the most recent post on the summary page is from a member who I have flagged to Ignore. I know in one case I posted a response to what was the most recent comment in a thread, only to find that Craig had also responded with a comment - time stamped earlier than mine, but which was not showing when I initially viewed the thread.

Anyone else having these problems - any expectation on when they might be resolved?

Thanks,

Andrew

Will take a look. BTW your ignore issues should now be resolved.

Back