Toronto 400 Front Street | 195.75m | 59s | State Building Group | Kirkor Architects

Similar comments for many other projects...

Nice try guys like your ideas and all. BUT
It's too big
It's too tall
Give more consideration too [insert current planning mantra]
Discussion about lack of intent to incorporate heritage buildings was cut off after twenty minutes when it was realised there aren't any. This pisses off the committee - discuss the potential for moving heritage buildings to site

Lunch time
Casual discussion
Schedule another meeting in four or five months

The minutes offer a far more nuanced analysis of the context than this pointless, misrepresentative post.

MoD

The minutes offer a far more nuanced analysis of the context than this pointless, misrepresentative post.

MoD

The stupertall crowd loves irrational, pointless rants. I say we pack them all up; throw them on a ship; send them to the Dubai Marina. They can bask in the glory of a forest of stupertalls as there is nothing else of value there. They must live there too. None of this living in Deira while awe struck by a skyline from a distance.

Last edited:
Lighten up, it wasn't intended to so vigorously offend - just a light hearted jab at a process that typically calls for similar changes to many of the projects reviewed.

I like this proposal. I wonder if they could build a pedestrian tunnel under Spadina that would connect the central corridor of this project with the one proposed in The Well. Similarly, are there any plans for a pedestrian tunnel that goes from Clarence square to the south side of Wellington. Putting some of the art funds toward illuminating such tunnels with neon would be a good use of money IMO.

A pedestrian tunnel should connect the two AFAIC, and it should provide stairs to the Spadina streetcar stops at the north end of the stops. A lot of people will want to cross between the two projects once they are built, and a number won't want to walk down to the lights at Front. It's going to be a safety issue. We are talking about big projects here, and there should be no fooling around when it comes to getting the pedestrian connections right.

A pedestrian tunnel should connect the two AFAIC, and it should provide stairs to the Spadina streetcar stops at the north end of the stops. A lot of people will want to cross between the two projects once they are built, and a number won't want to walk down to the lights at Front. It's going to be a safety issue. We are talking about big projects here, and there should be no fooling around when it comes to getting the pedestrian connections right.

My understanding of the current plans regarding the pedestrian crossing are for The Well project to fund its relocation (as a community benefit contribution) closer to Front Street, just to the south of the Stantec (formerly the McGregor) building at 401 Wellington Street West (the building at the south-west corner of the Spadina / Wellington intersection).

Personally - I am uncertain of the wisdom of this approach. A large number of pedestrians use the crosswalk in its current location as part of the morning and afternoon rush hour commuting path along Wellington between the King West area and downtown. I suspect that many would continue to cross Spadina at that point, even without the benefit of the crosswalk should it be moved.

So with the background files in, the tallest two towers here coming in at 651 and 670 feet tall, making 400 Front West the proposal with the 19th and 20th tallest buildings current proposed for Toronto (where the application has been submitted or approved already).

You're still using feet? I have become quite accustomed to using metres for tall building heights myself. The two tallest buildings in this project would be 204m and 198m, not too shabby in my opinion.

Unfortunately, our dataBase still only takes feet and has not been converted. We should convert it, of course, but there has been no budget allocated to that yet.

I'm not a dog owner so would somebody please explain to me what a dog park is?

Another waste of taxpayers money to subsidize certain lifestyle choices. The city is over-run with dogs. ALL dogs in the city should be registered and chipped, and the City should charge a minimum of $1000 per dog, per year to pay for the maintenance headaches your pooch causes to the public realm (and my private property).

jenniferlawrenceokaythumbup.gif

Another waste of taxpayers money to subsidize certain lifestyle choices. The city is over-run with dogs. ALL dogs in the city should be registered and chipped, and the City should charge a minimum of $1000 per dog, per year to pay for the maintenance headaches your pooch causes to the public realm (and my private property).

This may be a bit much but something should be done.

I agree with you 100%

Back