Located on the west side of Yonge Street north of Eglinton Avenue, Postal Station K is a 1936-built heritage structure, one of the few buildings around the world to include the crest of Edward VIII of England who reigned for less than one year before abdicating. The site has been a part of Toronto's history from before that though, as this was where Montgomery's Tavern once stood, the place where William Lyon Mackenzie and his supporters kicked off the failed Upper Canada Rebellion in 1837.
Postal Station K is now owned by developer Rockport Group, who have made Montgomery Square their latest project. RAW Design has crafted a 27-storey tower that will rise from the rear end of Postal Station K, while preserving the Art Deco limestone facade of building. One of 18 projects approved during a marathon City Council meeting in August 2014, Montgomery Square was originally planned to be a condominium, but now the 223 unit-building will be a rental development instead, in a move to meet the growing demand for purpose-built luxury rental housing.
Hoarding has now been put up around the project's perimeter to protect pedestrians from work at what is now a construction site.
The postal office, long closed for business, is now seeing demolition of the rear-end of the building to make way for the development's shoring and excavation stages.
A five-storey deep pit will be excavated for a parking garage, while the Art Deco facade will be restored, with retail going in at street level and the second storey of the redeveloped structure. A restaurant with an outdoor terrace is planned for the third level.
For additional information, including building facts and renderings, please visit our dataBase file, linked below. Want to get involved in the discussion? Check out the associated Forum threads, or voice your opinion in the comments section provided at the bottom of this page.