September was definitely an interesting month here on UrbanToronto. With the conclusion of summer the City's planning department was back in full-swing, holding public consultation meetings and releasing staff reports on a number of proposed developments within the downtown core. A few new projects were introduced to us, while a couple more were re-invisioned following consultations and reviews earlier this year. We also saw a number of projects wrap up construction. We've listed the top ten news, forum threads and dataBase pages below.
L Tower nearing completion, image by Razz
September saw an increase in forum activity, with plenty of discussion surrounding the recently-held ceremonial topping off of the L Tower. While it might have only been announced at the end of the month, the Mirvish + Gehry thread shot to number 2 and remains top spot through October.
1. L Tower + Sony Centre (Castlepoint/Fernbrook/Cityzen, 58s, Libeskind/P+S)
2. Mirvish+Gehry Toronto (ProjectCore, 82 + 84 + 86s, Gehry)
3. Ïce Condos (Lanterra, 57 + 67s, aA)
4. Shangri-La (Westbank, 66s, James Cheng/Hariri Pontarini)
5. Ten York (@120-130 Harbour, Tridel, 68s, Wallman)
6. Aura: Residences of College Park III (Canderel, 78s, G+C)
7. Four Seasons Hotel/Condominiums (Menkes/4S/Lifetime, 52 + 25s, aA)
8. Trump Tower Toronto (Talon, 57s, Zeidler)
9. CityPlace: Parade (Concord Adex, 18 + 22 + 39 + 44s, KPF)
10. Southcore Financial Ctr: Bremner Tower & Delta (GWL/bcIMC, 30 + 47s, KPMB & P+S/IBI)
Ten York Condos cross section view of the neighbourhood looking west across York Street
A number of high-profile buildings were announced last month, as were a few redesigns. Ten York Condos held a public consultation that drew crowds, while a zoning amendment on 592 Sherbourne included some pretty nice renderings of what the future Sherbourne and Bloor tower could look like.
Ten York Condos Return to Public Consultation With a Major Redesign
Zoning Amendment and Staff Report Illuminate 592 Sherbourne
Final Report on 90 Harbour / One York Brings Increased Neighbourhood Benefits
Photo of the Day: PoMo Plans for Toronto's World Trade Centre
Toronto Arrives in 3D on Apples iOS6
The First Crane is Up at Great Gulf's One Bloor East
Claude Cormier-Designed Fountain Arrives at the Four Seasons
Toronto Community Housing Bringing Affordable Rental to CityPlace
Photo of the Day: L Tower Climbs Skyward
Photo of the Day: Aura Dominates at Yonge and Gerrard
L Tower project rendering, image courtesy of Cityzen, Fernbrook and Castlepoint
Coming in at top spot in the dataBase section was the L Tower, closely followed by Ripley's Aquarium of Canada. The proposed development at 50 Bloor Street West rounded off the top 3 with the addition of some great comparative elevations.
Ripley's Aquarium of Canada
50 Bloor Street West
Regent Park Central Park and Aquatic Centre
Aura at College Park
One Bloor East
Living Shangri-La Toronto