Construction on Toronto’s hip new square begins Friday. The $42.7 million, two-year Nathan Phillips Square Revitalization project done by PLANT Architect Inc. will restore and update the original 1965 vision of Finnish architect Viljo Revell. The proposed budget had been $40 million but that has been recently upped. Toronto Chief Corporate Officer David Bowes said a sharper, modernized square will emerge by the end of 2012.

It’s almost 50 years old ... and it just got tired, Bowes said Tuesday.

It really is a nice place to be around but it just needs to be spruced up and this is really going to change the whole look of it.

Mayor David Miller and Councillor Kyle Rae will officially kick off square construction Friday morning.

For more information, click here.