431     0 
News   Apr 30, 2024
 1K     0 

Zoning Map

Marcanadian

Member Bio
Reaction score
Hey,

I doubt anyone can help me, but does anyone have a copy of the zoning map for the city of Toronto? The city website had an interactive copy online that was very helpful, but it was taken down and is being updated due to the new bylaw being passed. I have no idea when the new map will be made available, but I need a copy by this weekend. Does anyone know where I can find a paper or online version? I'm specifically looking for the Steeles/Kennedy region. I've looked on the Scarborough and Markham websites as well to no avail. Any help would be great.

Be aware that the new zoning bylaw, the one online, is in the proposal stage only. The bylaws which are still in effect are the "pre-amalgamation" bylaws. There are over 30 of them, one of the major reasons that merging them into one bylaw that would make some sense has been so time-consuming.

If you want the current bylaw in effect, a paper copy can be obtained from the Planning counter at the Scarborough civic centre. It will cost you about $10.

The new amalgamated zoning bylaw was passed by Council on August 27. The only thing keeping it from being "offical" is the 30 day appeal period for the OMB. It's unlikely at this point that anyone would appeal the whole bylaw, however certain specific sections may be appealed. Therefore it's likely the new zoning bylaw will be 'in effect' for the majority of the City at the end of the September

Property Not included in this bylaw

Hi,

I'm researching a property but it's in an area mapped as "Not part of this Bylaw". Does anyone know what are the possible bylaws it could be under?
It's Toronto central-west (between Dufferin & Bathurst and Bloor & St. Clair)

Thanks,

Swyt

Hi,

I'm researching a property but it's in an area mapped as "Not part of this Bylaw". Does anyone know what are the possible bylaws it could be under?
It's Toronto central-west (between Dufferin & Bathurst and Bloor & St. Clair)

Thanks,

Swyt

It will have its own 'site specific bylaw' which you MIGHT find by searching the By-Laws at http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/bylaws/index.htm They are not well indexed so you may need to phone one of your local Planners. As noted above the "new" Zoning By-Law is still not in effect and is being 'tweaked' to try to reduce or eliminate the number of objections. The older by-laws apply.

The Draft Zoning By-Law Map is back from the dead (as of last week): http://map.toronto.ca/maps/map.jsp?app=ZBL_CONSULT

Pretty good first crack at the interface IMO, the quick links to the chapters of the by-law and the selectable layers of the different overlay maps are handy.

A few things I would add:
The ability to select individual layers of zoning categories and sub-categories.
Mapped approved zoning by-law amendments & quick links to the amendment
Mapped proposed zoning by-law amendments & quick links to the proposal
Official Plan Designations (yes, I realize it is the zoning map)

Currently if you are looking for zoning (short of posessing the by-law yourself) the only way to get the accurate in force by-law is if you go in person to the Toronto office of the district that the property exists within - Scarborough, north york, york, etobicoke or the core. Currently the By-law on the website is DRAFT - not in effect, so you really can't use it at this point other than for reference. Any areas that are blacked out on the new zoning map usually mean that the property is part of a site specific zoning bylaw or an employment district by-law.

If you are extremely lucky and are looking in etobicoke (not all of etobicoke may I add) then you can find their old bylaw online. The links provided a post or two up will take you there. Otherwise you need to go to the city. Go early because often times the line is 2 hours long.

Last edited:

Back