News   Apr 19, 2024
 411     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 9.3K     2 

Zaha Hadid is dead

Toronto would never pay for a Hadid (very few places did actually) - consider this closure.

Huge loss either way.

I don't know, we could probably pay for the most cheaply done ZH if someone got their mind to it. In any case, too late now.

AoD

This is crushing news to the architectural community. I feel like she was just getting started. Nonetheless, we'll all look back to her work and maybe even find overlooked buildings that will now be seen in a new light.

My fear is that we'll lose Frank Gehry before he gets anything significant built in his home town.

We may not have a Hadid, but if it's any consolation, we have Kirkor galore. Those are the blessings we have to count.

The plans are ready - so they can be built after the fact. And look at Sagrada Familia...they didn't even have the plans.

AoD
The model that was in the big LACMA retrospective is very sparkly. People were remarking about the quality and obvious expense of the model - and the size of it. Thanks David Mirvish!

My fear is that we'll lose Frank Gehry before he gets anything significant built in his home town.
Jeez. I knew he was old, but not 87 years old old.

It would be a shame that even should we get his King Street towers, there is a very possible chance he won't live to see them completed.

Gehry seems to have good genes though. He looks younger than he is and I can imagine him as a hardened little old man living past 100. He's lived a fantastic life but for selfish reasons, I don't want him to die before completing the Mirvish towers and hopefully a waterfront project. Give us a Fish Frank!

Gehry seems to have good genes though. He looks younger than he is and I can imagine him as a hardened little old man living past 100. He's lived a fantastic life but for selfish reasons, I don't want him to die before completing the Mirvish towers and hopefully a waterfront project. Give us a Fish Frank!

He already gave us a fish of sorts (the AGO - specifically Galleria Italia fronting Dundas West)

AoD

WTF! Toronto is forever denied a Hadid.
Libeskind's Crystal is about close enough. Prefab concrete, exposed steel and glass all amess, jutting out in all directions, doing nothing to flow or blend with the surrounding architecture, sticking out like McMansions in a historically designated community. Just my two pennies.

Back