News   Apr 23, 2024
 277     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 850     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 478     0 

York Region Transit: Viva service thread

Echoing discussions in other threads. Way too many routes still serving York University when they could/should be terminating at VMC and/or 407 stations. If we are place making and trying to create a meeting point at VMC than treat it as such and focus routes through there.

I realize the York is a huge passenger generator but a few of the routes see to go out of their way to stop at York when stopping at VMC would do just as well.

Silver not starting in 2018 may have to do with delayed delivery of new Viva vehicles. Orange to Promenade Mall was supposed start by end of 2016 but they didn't get the vehicles. It may be introduced later on, beyond 2018.

• 320 Newmarket-Beaver Creek Express will serve the new 400/Major Mackenzie Carpool Lot
  • Viva Yellow service will be reduced on weekends

1) Err...320 runs from Davis and 404 carpool, services Wellington and 404 carpool, then goes down the 404 to 16th, loops in the office district, and heads back up. That's a very interesting new stop...is it now going to hop on the 407 after Beaver Creek and go all the way to the 400, up to major mack, and back? Interesting thinking by YRT.
2) Viva Yellow--I am genuinely curious if a single human being is even remotely surprised by this. Sigh...
3) No word on service to Gormley GO?!? This was supposed to start in January 2017 and just didn't happen. Route 15 Stouffville Rd. was supposed to connect to trains via the station bus loop, and Route 320 Newmarket-Beaver Creek Express was supposed to start hopping off the 404 to service it too.

BTW, where did you find this document? I'd be interested in seeing the full thing.

1) Err...320 runs from Davis and 404 carpool, services Wellington and 404 carpool, then goes down the 404 to 16th, loops in the office district, and heads back up. That's a very interesting new stop...is it now going to hop on the 407 after Beaver Creek and go all the way to the 400, up to major mack, and back? Interesting thinking by YRT.
2) Viva Yellow--I am genuinely curious if a single human being is even remotely surprised by this. Sigh...
3) No word on service to Gormley GO?!? This was supposed to start in January 2017 and just didn't happen. Route 15 Stouffville Rd. was supposed to connect to trains via the station bus loop, and Route 320 Newmarket-Beaver Creek Express was supposed to start hopping off the 404 to service it too.

BTW, where did you find this document? I'd be interested in seeing the full thing.

https://www.yrt.ca/en/about-us/public-information-centres.aspx
Click on the "Accessible Survey" link to see service changes in each municipality.

Proposed 320 route change: https://www.yrt.ca/serviceplanning/Newmarket-Beaver-Creek-320_map_proposed.pdf

Gormley GO was to be served by an extension of 84-Oak Ridges in 2016 but was cancelled due to impacts to existing riders (https://www.yrt.ca/en/about-us/resources/ASP2017/ASP2017_03-Addendum.pdf). There was never any plan to divert 15 or 320 to Gormley GO.

https://www.yrt.ca/en/about-us/public-information-centres.aspx
Click on the "Accessible Survey" link to see service changes in each municipality.

Proposed 320 route change: https://www.yrt.ca/serviceplanning/Newmarket-Beaver-Creek-320_map_proposed.pdf

Gormley GO was to be served by an extension of 84-Oak Ridges in 2016 but was cancelled due to impacts to existing riders (https://www.yrt.ca/en/about-us/resources/ASP2017/ASP2017_03-Addendum.pdf). There was never any plan to divert 15 or 320 to Gormley GO.

Ah, you'd said 400/Major Mack, not 404...that makes much more sense! Didn't even know a lot was being built there--I think it's a good place for one, for sure.

I was aware of the 84 potential extension and decision not to proceed. 15 and 320 would hardly be diverted since each route essentially passes right by the station as-is; the extension for route 320 is mentioned here https://www.yrt.ca/en/about-us/resources/ASP2017/ASP2017_09-Appendix.pdf on page 113 "Add a new stop on Route 360 – Newmarket-Markham Express to service Gormley GO Station once it is operational" (this seems an obvious typo, referring to 320 Newmarket-Beaver Creek Express, not 360 Vaughan Express which runs from Vaughan Mills to Yorkdale and will be cancelled once TYSSE opens). It seems I was mistaken about 15 as I can't find a reference to it, I guess they just adjusted schedules to provide a walking connection.

I just saw that YRT/Viva will be purchasing 6x 40ft fully-electric buses (4 New Flyer and 2 Nova), and they seem to plan to do this quite soon and have them in service within a year or so, by the sound of it. Document here http://www.york.ca/wps/wcm/connect/...7-d522e84e5add/mar+2+purchase.pdf?MOD=AJPERES

The Committee of the Whole adopted the recommendation which will be heard by Council this Thursday, March 23rd. Apparently the buses cost less than diesel ones, and MTO is being asked to provide funding, so it seems likely to proceed.

I think these will be the first electric buses in service in the GTHA...as an electric vehicle driver myself, this is tremendously exciting!

I just saw that YRT/Viva will be purchasing 6x 40ft fully-electric buses (4 New Flyer and 2 Nova), and they seem to plan to do this quite soon and have them in service within a year or so, by the sound of it. Document here http://www.york.ca/wps/wcm/connect/...7-d522e84e5add/mar+2+purchase.pdf?MOD=AJPERES

The Committee of the Whole adopted the recommendation which will be heard by Council this Thursday, March 23rd. Apparently the buses cost less than diesel ones, and MTO is being asked to provide funding, so it seems likely to proceed.

I think these will be the first electric buses in service in the GTHA...as an electric vehicle driver myself, this is tremendously exciting!
these are likely being bought in the same pilot project (Pan-Ontario Electric Bus Demonstration and Integration Trial,) under which Brampton recently (march 11) announced their purchase of 10 buses to be in service by 2018.

Ah, you'd said 400/Major Mack, not 404...that makes much more sense! Didn't even know a lot was being built there--I think it's a good place for one, for sure.
Ahh! My apologies. Fixed the original post

---

Full document for 2018 Service Plan is out: https://www.yrt.ca/en/about-us/resources/2018ASP-Initiatives-Final-Storyboards.pdf

I have two serious concerns in terms of frequency on Viva routes.

Orange will replace Purple west of Richmond Hill Centre at the time of Spadina Subway opening, but the 2018 Service Plan indicates that frequency is unchanged. Does that mean Viva service between VMC and RHC will run only every 10-20 min weekdays, and every 45 min weekends? This would be a massive service cut if true.

Purple will be split in two branches in Downtown Markham, but there are no mentions of increased frequency - does this mean each branch will run every 30 min off peak?

Last edited:

If you ever wonder why the province needs to impose fare integration, look at the new route 100. It's completely redundant with the subway, but since Toronto refuses to co-operate with the suburbs on public transit the subway will have empty seats and this redundant bus route will cost York Region some money as well.

Anyways, that "frequent transit network" - pathetic as it may be - seems to imply that there will be 15 minute service for both Highway 7 and Enterprise, as well as both Orange branches, but it doesn't seem like that'll be implemented for a few years.

Purple will be split in two branches in Downtown Markham, but there are no mentions of increased frequency - does this mean each branch will run every 30 min off peak?

Yes. I've already bitched out YRT and megaspammed the Markham city councillors to bug YRT about NOT doing this.

I encourage you to do so as well.

I've already bitched out YRT and megaspammed the Markham city councillors to bug YRT about NOT doing this.

Both Highway 7 and Enterprise are part of the all-day 15-minute-or-better network. That just isn't planned to be implemented until 2020. Cause if there's one way to get people onto transit, it's to get a reputation for atrocious service.

If you ever wonder why the province needs to impose fare integration, look at the new route 100. It's completely redundant with the subway, but since Toronto refuses to co-operate with the suburbs on public transit the subway will have empty seats and this redundant bus route will cost York Region some money as well.

Anyways, that "frequent transit network" - pathetic as it may be - seems to imply that there will be 15 minute service for both Highway 7 and Enterprise, as well as both Orange branches, but it doesn't seem like that'll be implemented for a few years.

I was pretty disappointed with the 2018 service plan too. It would make much more sense if the TTC takes over the operations in York region (through merger) rather than fare integration.

The best option for a UTSC route would be Markville Mall -> STC GO Terminal -> UTSC.

Perhaps this would present an opportunity for YRT to take over the popular 129A and build new ridership heading to UTSC?

Perhaps:
29 McCowan between Major Mackenzie -> STC GO

29A McCowan between Bullock Drive -> UTSC via STC GO

Having the bus loop around Bullock Drive would be beneficial as it would create a $0.75 connection from Lincolnville/Uxbridge/Stouffville GO Bus riders looking for a direct connection to UTSC. Having a one seat, one fare connection to two major trip generations (STC and UTSC) would make this a fairly successful and high ridership route. Also whoopee for free connections to DRT!

Thoughts?

129.jpg

Last edited:
The best option for a UTSC route would be Markville Mall -> STC GO Terminal -> UTSC.

Perhaps this would present an opportunity for YRT to take over the popular 129A and build new ridership heading to UTSC?

Perhaps:
29 McCowan between Major Mackenzie -> STC GO

29A McCowan between Bullock Drive -> UTSC via STC GO

Having the bus loop around Bullock Drive would be beneficial as it would create a $0.75 connection from Lincolnville/Uxbridge/Stouffville GO Bus riders looking for a direct connection to UTSC. Having a one seat, one fare connection to two major trip generations (STC and UTSC) would make this a fairly successful and high ridership route. Also whoopee for free connections to DRT!

Thoughts?

129.jpg
I was thinking using the Markham Rd/Main St Option: Markville Mall --> Centennial College --> UTSC
and
Cornell Terminal --> Centennial College --> UTSC

Last edited:

Back