193     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.6K     1 

York Region Transit: Viva service thread

the January changes:
http://www.yorkregiontransit.com/en/serviceupdates/Jan2016.asp
I think they are already represented in the map that was posted above? The changes note that 58 no longer goes to the Newmarket Bus Terminal, and sure enough it doesn't go that far in the map.

They should really take advantage of having a busway, and move all but one route into the busway. Leave the 55 to serve local needs on Davis, but put the 50 in the busway. I'm sure anyone riding it from well up north would appreciate the speedier trip along Davis.

What makes you think that the predominant travel pattern is across Davis and then down Yonge? That certainly doesn't seem to be the case in all of the times I'm up there.

Admittedly I'm not the most familiar with the area, as I haven't visited for a few years until yesterday. What I'm saying is, in Newmarket you have a downtown area, a regional hospital, a GO station, while along the Yonge corridor there's significant population, transit connections and trip generators. And yet these two areas are separated by a transfer at Newmarket terminal even though both Viva routes have the same headways, rather than being linked seamlessly with one route. I could be wrong about the travel patterns, but after this substantial transit investment in Newmarket, we end up with a Viva Yellow that is basically just a short 7-stop shuttle between a bus terminal and a parking lot. Not surprisingly, every Viva bus I saw was either completely empty or almost, which I hope will change in the near future.

And not only that, but Blue is horribly variable/unreliable because of how long the route is. The service along Davis Dr. would be even worse because they'd only be scheduling every, say third bus - and so the headways would be even more erratic.

That's a valid point, however there are future plans to further expand Viva in Newmarket. If you say Viva Blue is too long to extend any further, then is it better to create another new Viva bus route just to service East Gwillimbury GO station?

Screen shot 2015-12-08 at 5.50.00 PM.png

With Yonge slated to get dedicated lanes and transit signal priority, and given that almost a billion dollars is being spent in York Region on the Viva bus network, I would hope that service reliability will improve despite the long distances that these buses are covering. The Yonge subway extension will also help, so hopefully Viva Yellow can eventually be merged with Viva Blue if travel patterns warrant this.

Just curious, is there a risk that the Spadina and Yonge subway extensions will cause Line 1 to become too long and suffer from unreliable service?

The YRT routes haven't yet been realigned and revamped to take into account the new VIVA route yet. That happens in January. Give them some time.

Good to know. I look forward to seeing what changes are coming next year.

the January changes:
http://www.yorkregiontransit.com/en/serviceupdates/Jan2016.asp
I think they are already represented in the map that was posted above? The changes note that 58 no longer goes to the Newmarket Bus Terminal, and sure enough it doesn't go that far in the map.

I boarded the 58 yesterday from Newmarket Bus Terminal, so actually it still goes there. But probably not for much longer.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2015-12-08 at 5.50.00 PM.png
    Screen shot 2015-12-08 at 5.50.00 PM.png
    46.6 KB · Views: 930
I can't believe YRT is still throwing money at VIVA, even VIVA killed their ridership growth. A VIVA route specifically for Newmarket, a town with a population of 80,000? How anyone could actually think that's a good idea, I don't know.

I can't believe YRT is still throwing money at VIVA, even VIVA killed their ridership growth. A VIVA route specifically for Newmarket, a town with a population of 80,000? How anyone could actually think that's a good idea, I don't know.

hmmm, I guess because of the huge hospital, the traffic-choked corridor and the provincial/regional/municipal intensification planned for that area? Or, sorry, were you just being rhetorical?

Newmarket is part of the mainland, so it's population is not isolated. People actually visit it from adjacent (and even non-adjacent) municipalities. Many of them go to either end of this line (Upper Canada Mall / Southlake). Frankly - no offence, Newmarket - I dunno why anyone would go there otherwise. (Oh, OK, the Main Street area is nice.)

I'm also not sure why a Region of 1 million would kill off it's decade-plus-in-development rapid transit system after less than 2 years of preliminary operations. I know Toronto is the world's leading expert at developing transit plans and then cutting them off at the knees (and ankles, and toes) but I guess York Region wants to finish building it and see what happens?

I wonder how much more they're going to increase fares for this useless service.

Small-scale, on-demand transit in smaller communities is increasingly considered a best practice, but whatever. Useless, sure.

http://www.townofbwg.com/transit/taxi-to-go
http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/tra...sit-to-test-new-door-to-door-bus-service.html
http://www.simcoe.com/news-story/6122503-innisfil-council-eyes-uber-style-transit-over-bus-system/

According to this thread, the BRT is useless, the on-demand service is useless...presumably we should just kill transit in suburbs altogether, let the cars win already.

hmmm, I guess because of the huge hospital, the traffic-choked corridor and the provincial/regional/municipal intensification planned for that area? Or, sorry, were you just being rhetorical?

Newmarket is part of the mainland, so it's population is not isolated. People actually visit it from adjacent (and even non-adjacent) municipalities. Many of them go to either end of this line (Upper Canada Mall / Southlake). Frankly - no offence, Newmarket - I dunno why anyone would go there otherwise. (Oh, OK, the Main Street area is nice.)

I'm also not sure why a Region of 1 million would kill off it's decade-plus-in-development rapid transit system after less than 2 years of preliminary operations. I know Toronto is the world's leading expert at developing transit plans and then cutting them off at the knees (and ankles, and toes) but I guess York Region wants to finish building it and see what happens?

Yeah I am sure that this new 5km BRT line will be very useful. It will save the people of Newmarket lots and lots of time.

With all the ridership declines and service cuts of recent years and the $4 cash fare, YRT has obviously been doing an awesome job getting people onto transit. I thought it was obivous that I was just joking when I voiced my concerns about YRT's strategy and the direction the system is heading in. Sorry, if the non-seriousness of my previous post was not clear.

Yeah I am sure that this new 5km BRT line will be very useful. It will save the people of Newmarket lots and lots of time.

With all the ridership declines and service cuts of recent years and the $4 cash fare, YRT has obviously been doing an awesome job getting people onto transit. I thought it was obivous that I was just joking when I voiced my concerns about YRT's strategy and the direction the system is heading in. Sorry, if the non-seriousness of my previous post was not clear.
Only 2km of it is dedicated BRT. The rest is just mixed traffic. What's ironic is when I rode it, the bus was actually faster in mixed traffic. So useless.

Only 2km of it is dedicated BRT. The rest is just mixed traffic. What's ironic is when I rode it, the bus was actually faster in mixed traffic. So useless.

As someone who has also ridden it, I agree that it runs remarkably slow despite the dedicated lanes.

I have long criticized the Davis BRT as a stupifying waste of cash. They would have been better off doing 2km of BRT lanes up Yonge to Green Lane, especially since that stretch of Yonge is planned to be widened to 6 lanes in a few years anyway.

I have long criticized the Davis BRT as a stupifying waste of cash. They would have been better off doing 2km of BRT lanes up Yonge to Green Lane, especially since that stretch of Yonge is planned to be widened to 6 lanes in a few years anyway.

A cynical person might compare it to the Scarborough subway. YR is very big and they got a lot of money and I think it's safe to say there are regional politicians who didn't want see all that money be spent in the south, just because all the people are there.

It's hard to argue it's as "necessary" as Highway 7 but that corridor is very busy and has potential for reurbanization. In the larger scheme of things it's not the worst idea. I'm not sure about Green Lane. You're going north of the terminal to an intersection where (I'm pretty sure) two of the corners are farms. And the other two are big box hell. Nah, Davis is a more logical route and a more urban street.

The Davis rapidway is not very helpful, the other buses dont use it, so it increases the amount of time you have to wait! If you wait in the overbuilt stations, the regular buses pass by and you cannot get on them, also, the entire route is the same distance as Yonge to Dufferin, 4 km! thats including the on street portion! and they want $4 for the priviledge of waiting for their 15 minute headways, no thanks, what a costly way of showing the idea that people who dont walk or use transit cannot possibly plan walking and transit infrastructure that is user friendly, or even makes sense!

York Region is starting to head down the path most American cities are following... a focus on flashy & pretty capital projects instead of real service improvements.

When you look at York Region's failures to grow ridership despite its large, growing population and accelerating pace of intensification, it's pretty sad. Especially when you compare it to places like, say, Brampton, which hasn't even intensified at all really and is still just building subdivisions, and yet has still made meaningful improvements to transit service, with healthy ridership growth to show for it.

Back