News   Apr 25, 2024
 361     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.1K     4 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.1K     0 

YRT/Viva Construction Thread (Rapidways, Terminals)

They did it mostly because of safety concerns about luggage moving around while the bus drives on the 427. Those concerns actually led to moving the bus completely off the 427 in 2009, which made the trip 15 minutes longer, then using a new (slower, albeit less so) route on the 427 that avoided lane changes. The luggage racks were put in in 2013 so that the bus could go back to the original route, as a part of the TTC's initiatives to promote the bus service.
This doesn't seem like the reason since a lot of people still don't bother to use the luggage racks. If it was such a safety hazard, don't you think they'd make it mandatory to use the luggage racks?

Ok, regardless of all this I'll just say two things:

1. Viva buses won't be getting luggage racks, which will make people a lot less likely to use it to go to the airport

2. There is zero chance of YRT or Viva going to the airport. There's just no way to make the costs worth it for, at most, a few hundred people who would take Viva to the airport. They'd probably be better off running dial-a-ride if it really was a priority.

Ok, regardless of all this I'll just say two things:

1. Viva buses won't be getting luggage racks, which will make people a lot less likely to use it to go to the airport

2. There is zero chance of YRT or Viva going to the airport. There's just no way to make the costs worth it for, at most, a few hundred people who would take Viva to the airport. They'd probably be better off running dial-a-ride if it really was a priority.

That's what Go Bus Route 40 is for. It goes express from Richmond Hill Centre to the Airport, although the question remains whether it will stop at Highway 407 Station once the subway opens.

That's what Go Bus Route 40 is for. It goes express from Richmond Hill Centre to the Airport, although the question remains whether it will stop at Highway 407 Station once the subway opens.

I strongly suspect it will. I'd even wonder if the 34 (Pearson-Yorkdale-Yonge and Sheppard-Finch GO Bus Terminal) will still exist, between the presence of the UPX and the 40 with a TYSSE connection. I don't expect it to necessarily be dropped on day one of TYSSE service, but I wouldn't be surprised if in a few months they see the ridership isn't there anymore.

I strongly suspect it will. I'd even wonder if the 34 (Pearson-Yorkdale-Yonge and Sheppard-Finch GO Bus Terminal) will still exist, between the presence of the UPX and the 40 with a TYSSE connection. I don't expect it to necessarily be dropped on day one of TYSSE service, but I wouldn't be surprised if in a few months they see the ridership isn't there anymore.

But they just made the 34 a 24/7 route.

And yes, I hope the 40 makes a stop at Highway 407 Station, taking advantage of its proximity to the highway. But if it does, the 40 becomes awfully similar to the 47 (but with less stops, and serving Pearson instead of Bramalea). While we're at it, I'd support extending the 47 from Highway 407 Station (presumably) to Richmond Hill Centre - the fact that buses no longer have to travel up and down Keele to reach York University means that it would only add about 10-15 minutes to running times. With routes 40, 47 (I would renumber the two routes into branches of the same route if that happens) 51, 52, and 54 serving both RHC and Highway 407, it could even relieve the Yonge line, provided there is some form of fare discount/integration: instead of taking Viva Blue down Yonge to Finch, take a GO bus to Highway 407 Station for a more comfortable ride.

Last edited:
There’s glass (on both straight sides) now:
EEB4343C-D3B9-4AA9-9393-2AA78F75B037.jpeg

Attachments

• EEB4343C-D3B9-4AA9-9393-2AA78F75B037.jpeg
    EEB4343C-D3B9-4AA9-9393-2AA78F75B037.jpeg
    160 KB · Views: 346
is there going to be some screen at the top to surround the condensers??? they are really tall for the elevation.... wish they used a ducted roof top unit instead...

As to the VMC Vivastation, I have a feeling they are pushing to complete it for December after all. Glazing and cladding progresses at a very good clip. Drove by last night, and workers were installing glass at 9pm! Final paving will be done over the next 2 weekends.

As to the VMC Vivastation, I have a feeling they are pushing to complete it for December after all. Glazing and cladding progresses at a very good clip. Drove by last night, and workers were installing glass at 9pm! Final paving will be done over the next 2 weekends.
If they actually get it open for the Subway, I would be extremely surprised and glad at the same time. It will show that VivaNext has the will to possibly go over budget to get the station open on time.

It’s much more convenient for Zum 501 and Viva Orange to stop on the street rather than detour to the bus terminal for the first few months of the subway open.

So they’re already paving the red asphalt in the VMC Vivastation area.
724209E2-D159-4D5C-A8BD-342D3E24FF21.jpeg
Does this mean they are aiming for a December/January opening with the subway?

Attachments

• 724209E2-D159-4D5C-A8BD-342D3E24FF21.jpeg
    724209E2-D159-4D5C-A8BD-342D3E24FF21.jpeg
    77 KB · Views: 505
So they’re already paving the red asphalt in the VMC Vivastation area.
View attachment 124048
Does this mean they are aiming for a December/January opening with the subway?

we dont know how theyre staging construction for this section but from the looks of it they still need a lot more work
for the fittings and other non structural systems. I think they still have Q1/Q2 in mind

we dont know how theyre staging construction for this section but from the looks of it they still need a lot more work
for the fittings and other non structural systems. I think they still have Q1/Q2 in mind

This means there are updates to the schedule, it may not be Spring 2018

I don't know much about how these facilities are constructed, however, I drove by the VMC viva station last night and it seems like the canopy and platforms are almost complete. I assume what is left is the networking, power and underground connection to the subway.

Back