News   Apr 25, 2024
 347     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1K     4 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1K     0 

YRT/Viva Construction Thread (Rapidways, Terminals)

Does anyone know why the displays on Viva buses and stations don't show well on camera and video? This isn't the case for TTC buses.
Incompatible refresh rate. For your camera, that would be analogous to frame rate. I'm not a video or computer tech, I'm in audio engineering, but this might be helpful:
https://www.wired.com/2014/08/wtf-just-happened-my-computer-monitor-looks-awful-on-camera/

LED signs are driven by 'registers' which are often pulse-width modulated, and synched to a driver that has its own operating frequency. What you can't see but what that sign is doing is flashing on and off, perhaps with a multiple rate simultaneously, far faster than your eye can see, but which 'falls between the cracks' of the lattice your camera works with.

You may have an option in your software or hardware to do a work-around on that. It might be known as a 'strobe effect' still, as this was referred to decades ago in video work. (Flourescent lights and TV cameras were a nightmare to get to work together)(24 frames per/sec and 30 cyc per sec are not easily synched).

Last edited:
Don't know if this is new but it looks like they've decided to switch the bike lanes on Yonge and Bathurst/Centre/Highway 7 West *Phase 2 to raise bike lanes.

How expensive would it be to convert the other Highway 7 lanes to match this? Will they bother?

Don't know if this is new but it looks like they've decided to switch the bike lanes on Yonge and Bathurst/Centre/Highway 7 West *Phase 2 to raise bike lanes.

How expensive would it be to convert the other Highway 7 lanes to match this? Will they bother?
I think I know what you're describing, but not totally clear. Do you have a link you could post? If I follow you, it sounds very interesting.

Highway 7 in Vaughan is still going to have plain ol' buffered bike lanes. Bathurst and Centre Street will have bike lanes that are at sidewalk level. Highway 7 east of Town Centre Blvd. is getting the same thing. It's similar to what Sherbourne has south of Gerrard.

I think I know what you're describing, but not totally clear. Do you have a link you could post? If I follow you, it sounds very interesting.

bike.jpg
bike.jpg

Highway 7 in Vaughan is still going to have plain ol' buffered bike lanes. Bathurst and Centre Street will have bike lanes that are at sidewalk level. Highway 7 east of Town Centre Blvd. is getting the same thing. It's similar to what Sherbourne has south of Gerrard.

I believe the raised bike lanes will also be used between Pine Valley and Jane as they are part of Hwy7 West Phase II.

I think they realized halfway through their VivaNext projects that the lanes they already put in weren't going to attract new riders. Although it sucks, at least they realized this before they moved on to Bathurst, Centre, Highway 7 West II, and Yonge.

How hard would it be and how much of a financial commitment would it be to redo all of the existing bike lanes to be uniform considering the space is already there.

Also, neat tidbit, the new bike lanes between Town Centre Boulevard to Sciberras in Markham have their own lighting system. Short street lights, facing away from the street, hover above the bike lanes throughout the entire stretch. Should be cool to see how bright the street will be once its all done.

I believe the raised bike lanes will also be used between Pine Valley and Jane as they are part of Hwy7 West Phase II.
Many thanks! You should participate in the General Cycling Issues string, that is incredibly good news. I'll enter that info into Google to see if I can come up with a link.

OK, found this:
Bikes on our sidewalks? Markham takes idea for a spin
"Sidewalks designed for pedestrians"
News Apr 21, 2016 by Amanda Persico Markham Economist & Sun
[...]
The region is taking a similar approach along the new stretch of Hwy. 7 east of Town Centre Boulevard in Markham, where there will be a cycle track behind the curb, buffered by planters and up on the boulevard. Then, beyond the cycle track, there is a sidewalk.

There is a dedicated, on-road cycle lane along Hwy. 7 west of Town Centre Boulevard,

While there is a market for on-road bike lanes for those experienced cyclists, that is not the majority, Collins added.

“We heard loud and clear, general cyclists – those who buy their groceries or who bike to work occasionally – prefer to ride on a boulevard than on a street,” he said. “What’s important is it is a different space than the sidewalk space.”
https://www.yorkregion.com/news-story/6508214-bikes-on-our-sidewalks-markham-takes-idea-for-a-spin/

I'll take this to the cycling forums to discuss further. Many, many thanks for that Wilson! I avoid streets like Hwy 7 and any major arterial roads if at all possible, (and I'm an accomplished and aggressive distance cyclist) but paths like that open up routes I'd normally not permit myself to use (the chances of getting whacked from behind are very high on those types of roads).

I'd suggest they put some kinds of barrier for the hwy7 east portion. I have seen heavy trucks partially shift onto the lanes, and some small cars totally cut the lanes to make quicker right turn. Also it does not seem safe for the bike lane to cut through Highway 404 entrance. It maybe better just end there or detour, and give back the bicycle lane space to BRT under the 404 bridge (so it could be two lanes instead of one). As for the current, stay away from the hwy7 bike lane if you care about your life.

I'd suggest they put some kinds of barrier for the hwy7 east portion. I have seen heavy trucks partially shift onto the lanes, and some small cars totally cut the lanes to make quicker right turn. Also it does not seem safe for the bike lane to cut through Highway 404 entrance. It maybe better just end there or detour, and give back the bicycle lane space to BRT under the 404 bridge (so it could be two lanes instead of one). As for the current, stay away from the hwy7 bike lane if you care about your life.
I crossed under Highway 404 on my bike last week and it wasn't bad at all. I made eye contact with the drivers behind me, and they waited until I passed as they should. I biked from Bayview to Town Centre, and it felt much safer than Bloor actually since traffic is a lot more predictable.

Since York Region is building a new overpass just north of Highway 7, they could reroute the bike lanes to end just before the 404 on/off ramps and if you want to go through, you need to go to Norman Bethune Avenue (via East Beaver Creek Road or Allstate Parkway).

Edit: I believe the Highway 404 widening will add HOV lanes from Highway 407 to Stouffville Road as well as rebuilding the Highway 7 and 16th Avenue overpasses, which will allow for the extra lane(s) and bike lanes.

Last edited:
I have seen heavy trucks partially shift onto the lanes, and some small cars totally cut the lanes to make quicker right turn.

Cars are supposed to move into bike lanes when they're making right turns. From this link:

upload_2017-5-3_10-20-31.png

But yes, the bike lanes on Highway 7 are great. Seems to me like the higher traffic speeds actually help, since anyone making a right turn will pass you and be well ahead of you before they turn.

Attachments

• upload_2017-5-3_10-20-31.png
    64.4 KB · Views: 590
Cyclists seem more afraid of cars with bike lanes then they did before without bike lanes.
I drive the Adelaide route regularly....and observing some of the behaviours of my fellow drivers....not sure I blame them....thankfully it is nowhere near the majority of drivers but if you are a cyclist that comes in contact with a car I doubt that it is much consolation that "most" drivers would not have done that.

There's a new display at Richmond Hill Centre:
IMG_1696.JPG

It's good that they're letting the public know more than just:
IMG_1540.JPG

I'm still concerned about the "Coffee Station". Will it be an actual chain coffee station (Tims, Starbucks, McCafe) it better not be something proprietary.

Attachments

• IMG_1696.JPG
    IMG_1696.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 592
  • IMG_1540.JPG
    IMG_1540.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 411
Last edited:
Cars are supposed to move into bike lanes when they're making right turns. From this link:

View attachment 107526

But yes, the bike lanes on Highway 7 are great. Seems to me like the higher traffic speeds actually help, since anyone making a right turn will pass you and be well ahead of you before they turn.

Nice pic! but that's what I've seen on Hwy 7. Some right turning cars don't want to wait and cut onto the bike lane at intersections (see the attached modified picture)

Attachments

• upload_2017-5-3_10-20-31.png
    59.2 KB · Views: 265
Last edited:

Back