News   Apr 17, 2024
 307     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 1.9K     1 

Yonge Street, North York Streetscape Improvements

salsa

Member Bio
Reaction score
Come to next week's 2nd public meeting to learn more about the preliminary preferred design options for Yonge Street (Sheppard to Finch Ave).

Monday, July 25, 2016

Time: Drop-in anytime from 11:00am – 2:00pm
Place: Mel Lastman Square 5100 Yonge Street (information booths will be set up in the Square)

OR

Time: Drop-in anytime from 5:00pm – 8:00pm
Place: North York Memorial Hall 5110 Yonge Street (one level below the NY Central Library)

Background info: http://www1.toronto.ca/wps/portal/contentonly?vgnextoid=a331edb9b72d3510VgnVCM10000071d60f89RCRD

The preliminary preferred alternative for this Sheppard-Finch section appears to indicate a desire to cut 2 travel lanes (vehicle).

While I'm fully supportive of the thrust of this..........I wonder about the politics.

That' very urbane proposal, suggesting cycle tracks, wide sidewalks, trees, and possibly, a median also.

The devil, of course, is in the details.

The preliminary preferred alternative for this Sheppard-Finch section appears to indicate a desire to cut 2 travel lanes (vehicle).

While I'm fully supportive of the thrust of this..........I wonder about the politics.

That' very urbane proposal, suggesting cycle tracks, wide sidewalks, trees, and possibly, a median also.

The devil, of course, is in the details.
With the amount of traffic (which also includes double-deckers, trucks etc.), I don't see why people would want to cycle on this section of Yonge. Much safer to do so on the ring roads on either side.
We also can't compare Yonge St. North York, to Yonge St. downtown as downtown has a denser grid of streets to spread out the traffic.
I agree with wider sidewalks and median though.

With the amount of traffic (which also includes double-deckers, trucks etc.), I don't see why people would want to cycle on this section of Yonge. Much safer to do so on the ring roads on either side.
We also can't compare Yonge St. North York, to Yonge St. downtown as downtown has a denser grid of streets to spread out the traffic.
I used to cycle on this section of Yonge everyday to get to work. Not going to detour onto side streets when my origin and destination is on Yonge.

Yonge St. between Finch and Highway 401 is one of the busiest and most congested (if not the busiest) non-highway roads in Toronto. Narrowing this road is a bad idea that will make traffic congestion even worse.

Some sort of bike infrastructure is sorely needed along the Yonge corridor in North York. Yonge, Beecroft and Doris are all very hostile cycling environments. And hopefully they redesign the Yonge Street streetscape while they're at it. That streetscape is among the ugliest in the city.

Because, as LNahid2000 said, Yonge is where cyclists' destinations are.

I just hope that they design the street in a way that doesn't allow cars and delivery vehicles to block the bike lanes.

Separated bike lanes on Yonge in North York would be much welcomed. It might even be feasible without reducing the number of lanes for motorized vehicles north of the 401. I agree that the streetscape could use an overhaul. Yonge could be a grand boulevard in North York Centre with its wide right of way.

I just hope that they design the street in a way that doesn't allow cars and delivery vehicles to block the bike lanes.
Something's got to give then. Make Yonge the grand boulevard with wide sidewalks, separate bikeways, but turn over the ring roads to mainline traffic. The cars aren't going to disappear after all because a lot of the traffic there aren't from the neighbourhood.

Yonge St. between Finch and Highway 401 is one of the busiest and most congested (if not the busiest) non-highway roads in Toronto. Narrowing this road is a bad idea that will make traffic congestion even worse.
Yes. It has the kind of volume that is not far off from what you might see on a freeway. I cant believe people in their right mind are even entertaining this idea. I cycle on weekends and i would not even consider for second using this stretch of road. Especially that area from the 401 to north york centre. It's very dangerous for cyclist and bikes dont belong here because the volume of vehicles is very high. Also, due to the exposive residential growth in that area, the motorist need that access to and off of the 401.

Some sort of bike infrastructure is sorely needed along the Yonge corridor in North York. Yonge, Beecroft and Doris are all very hostile cycling environments. And hopefully they redesign the Yonge Street streetscape while they're at it. That streetscape is among the ugliest in the city.

And how do you propose doing that? There are a lot of businesses (like major retailers) in that stretch and parking is already at a premium. Businesses are already suffering due to the shortage of parking space. How can you keep, for example, a Best Buy viable in the area by restricting parking even further? Cyclist are not going buy TVs and carry them home on their bikes. Same for groceries shopping.

Really? I grocery shop exclusively using my bike. Also, most people are not going to carry home TVs in their cars either when most bigger TVs won't fit in cars, and Best Buy offers free delivery.
Good for you. But unfortunately you are in the very very tiny minority of people who do their groceries shopping on bike. I dont see many bikes outside of any Loblaw's or Metro. I do see parking lots with cars and i do see people walking on sidewalks home or (in a few small cases) to the transit stop with grocerie bags. Then what do you do in bad weather.

I can state with confidence that i dont know anyone who rather wait for delivery for a TV, micro wave ovens or any other appliance as opposed taking it home right away if they can. Delivery times for appliances or things like furniture or TV are never ideal. Often they give you time slots that require you to stay home from work In order to receive it.

Basically, i respect ones decesion to use their bike for all their transportation requirements. But it's mostly a lifestyle decision. You just cant impose that on others. And most important you cant infringe or restrict on the vast majority of others.

Last edited:
Good for you. But unfortunately you are in the very very tiny minority of people who do their groceries shopping on bike. I dont see many bikes outside of any Loblaw's or Metro. I do see parking lots with cars and i do see people walking on sidewalks home or (in a few small cases) to the transit stop with grocerie bags. Then what do you do in bad weather.
Good old anec-evidence. I assume you don't live downtown?

Basically, i respect ones decesion to use their bike for all their transportation requirements. But it's mostly a lifestyle decision. You just cant impose that on others. And most important you cant infringe on the vast majority of others.
I can't impose on others? Why should motorists get 100% of Yonge St. north of the 401 when cyclists pay property taxes too?

Back