Toronto Yonge Eglinton Centre | ?m | 37s | RioCan | P + S / IBI

Is the old subway entrance (the one with stairs that goes down to the food court) replaced by that new one, or is it just being re-built?
The old stairs are currently a fenced off hole in the ground.

Old subway stairs:

stairs.jpg

Attachments

• stairs.jpg
    stairs.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1,479
Someone take interior pics ! : ) And is the roof open!

What's strange to me is how little access there is to this addition from the existing mall. Unless I'm mistaken, there's no direct entrance into this space from the existing mall -- at best one can go up through the food court via stairs that primarily lead outside. All other entrances appear at this point to be from outside (at least for the general public -- I don't know about access from the towers above ground level). Have I missed an obvious ingress point for this space, or is it essentially a completely separate building?

What's strange to me is how little access there is to this addition from the existing mall. Unless I'm mistaken, there's no direct entrance into this space from the existing mall -- at best one can go up through the food court via stairs that primarily lead outside. All other entrances appear at this point to be from outside (at least for the general public -- I don't know about access from the towers above ground level). Have I missed an obvious ingress point for this space, or is it essentially a completely separate building?

Here is the mall entrance to Winners:
17190-57288.jpg

Attachments

• 17190-57288.jpg
    17190-57288.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 751
Fair enough, but that's way in the back on the second floor of the mall, and not along any sort of main throughway for the mall.

The weirdness to me is especially pronounced on the south entrance to the mall off Eglinton -- the construction has added a long "hallway" into the mall, with the east wall of the hallway created by the new addition, but as I recall there is no direct access from that hallway to the addition that is directly to the east. There is a wall without any doors into the new addition.

Fair enough, but that's way in the back on the second floor of the mall, and not along any sort of main throughway for the mall.

The weirdness to me is especially pronounced on the south entrance to the mall off Eglinton -- the construction has added a long "hallway" into the mall, with the east wall of the hallway created by the new addition, but as I recall there is no direct access from that hallway to the addition that is directly to the east. There is a wall without any doors into the new addition.
There is also this door (middle), which had yet to open at the time of this photo. It appears to be an entrance to both the preexisting mall and the addition, but I am not 100%
17190-57260.jpg

Attachments

• 17190-57260.jpg
    17190-57260.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 694
Kind of makes me sad. I prefer the sidewalk TTC entrances over going through buildings. They were much easier to locate and much more convenient in the sense that the stairs would take you directly into the station.

Much better for pedestrian circulation on the surface though.

Back