Toronto Yonge Eglinton Centre | ?m | 37s | RioCan | P + S / IBI

I'd rather see the 90s addition redeveloped - along with the removal of the Pickle Barrel sign (which cheapened the addition before it even opened). That, and some decent landscaping/plantings. Nothing would more disappointing than getting some cast concrete sidewalks after all this.

AoD

Last edited:
Let's be clear on this point. The public square was originally required by the city for allowing the developer to close a public street that ran through the project.

Well, no. It was never a public square. And the rezoning in the 1960s did not require open space at this location, but rather a certain amount of open space anywhere on the site, including on rooftops below a certain height, and there was no requirement that it be publicly accessible (but it could not be double-counted as any of the required outdoor residential amenity space for the residential component).

Last edited:
July 27:

IMG_6113.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_6113.JPG
    IMG_6113.JPG
    332.6 KB · Views: 879
My eye is drawn directly to that really awful Pickle Barrel sign.
One of these days I'm going to Photoshop it out and post the shot with no caption... just to mess with everyone. Remember this post to avoid future disappointment.

The Pickle Barrel sign really is awful. I thought it was going to be temporary when it first appeared just cuz it looked that bad.

Ha! Can you magically erase the Silvercity cocktail pick as well? It's equally egregious.

AoD

No. It may be ugly and terrible, but it is a symbol of my youth

Because the developer wanted to maximize leasable space on their property (profit $$$) and the city approved the project / allowed them, despite what an unfortunate addition it is. I agree that rejuvenating the plaza would have been more fruitful and made for a nicer intersection, but clearly Rio-Can had no interest in making it a nice public space.

Back