News   May 17, 2024
 1.6K     2 
News   May 17, 2024
 965     2 
News   May 17, 2024
 7.9K     9 

Wrigley's to close their Toronto factory

Agreed. When most people (and not necessarily talking about you, CPN1) talk about 'good factory jobs', they're talking about skilled machinists, tool & die workers, etc. Those jobs don't exist anymore -- factory work is mostly shifting boxes these days. And a plant like Wrigley's will not be missed.

Given the level of unemployment in Toronto, any job will be missed. The tax revenues will also hurt, unless the site is soon redeveloped into another use.

Given the level of unemployment in Toronto, any job will be missed. The tax revenues will also hurt, unless the site is soon redeveloped into another use.

I agree. While, yes, an old plant like Wrigley's will not be overly missed, it's the overall sentiment that chips away at the core of Toronto's economy. I, for one, want to see the city attract more businesses and factories and retailers and headquarters. Hopefully the site will be redeveloped to whatever is its highest and best use.

Probably another condo.

I am thinking it will be wasted in another condo in the park style that the Celestica site to the east is set to become.

It is a shame, I would've liked to see the more urbanist developments expressed in the Lawrence-Don Mills area spread south. I would like to see both sites divided into smaller streets and more blocks, and a new community created out of it. Something akin to the "sprawl repair" that we were discussing in the "Planned Sprawl in the GTA" thread.

edit: Actually, now that I am looking on google maps, the radical in me would take a "sprawl repair" approach to everything between Leslie and the 404, from Barber Greene to the Ontario Science Centre. In addition to creating a massive GTA growth centre (with already present employment!!!), a new, dense urbanist community with access to two park ravine systems, we could also bring the DRL up Don Mills creating a transportation hub.

Last edited:
Well Celestica is still proposing to keep their HQ and offices on site, so there is a large office component.

Re: Tax ... I'm sure as a condo, even though tax rates are a lot lower, the property value would go up a lot implying I wouldn't be suprised if the city collects more tax. Though I agree about the loss of jobs, but again, the argument being these aren't good jobs that are bound to disappear eventually everywhere ..

Back