7.8K     2 

Wong Dai Sin Temple (2s, Shim and Sutcliffe) COMPLETE

Neat

Screen Shot 2015-08-19 at Wednesday Aug 19, 2015 2.25.12 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-08-19 at Wednesday Aug 19, 2015 2.25.12 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-08-19 at Wednesday Aug 19, 2015 2.25.12 PM.png
    356.9 KB · Views: 2,730
That star article mentions the nimbys thinking this was too tall. It must be in a very suburban area because this building looks short and it looks to be surrounded by a large parcel of land appearing to make any shadowing effect a non issue.

I'd love to see more shots of it (hint hint Mafalda Boy) that give more context, so we know just how crazy the NIMBYism was up here.

Well, it sure doesn't fit in with those turreted castles to the west. If Shim Sutcliffe had really wanted to be sympathetic to the locals, they would have designed it to blend in with the vernacular, something like this…

Sleeping_Beauty_Castle_DLR.jpg

Source: Wikipedia

…and they have utterly failed in that department.

I really like it. Wish it was in a higher profile location.

Though, the cantilever makes me nervous about maintenance issues 30 years from now.

I was thinking about making a Fallingwater comparison.

Even post-restoration, Fallingwater is very noticeably... slanty.

Intentional - partly due to additional technical challenges with going for full restoration, and partly for authenticity reasons - from the article:

When the post-tensioning strands were in place and tightened, the positive moment caused by the eccentric axial force essentially balanced the negative moment caused by the cantilever. The existing deflections could not be removed because restoring the structure back to its original form would cause more cracks to open due to the years of creep associated with the deflected shape. After the tendons were tightened, the cantilever raised about ¾” off the temporary shoring.

The structural elements that were used and remain on the structure are completely invisible to a typical visitor and the conditions are back to near original. When asked about the deflection that was left in the cantilever portion of Fallingwater’s structure, Silman replied, “that sag is part of the story of the building.

AoD

Saw this article in the Star yesterday too and thought to myself,"Hey, I kinda like this design."

Although I'm not a big fan of cantilevered designs from a structural standpoint, the overall look of this building is both unique and intriguing.

Back