980     0 
News   May 06, 2024
 646     1 

Window Washers Entering Unit?

emma23miller

Member Bio
Reaction score
Hi,

Can I refuse entry into my unit to window washers who want to walk through it to access my terrace?

A couple of days ago they were working on my exclusive use common element terrace, to which they obviously have access. Then on Friday they wanted to walk through my unit unto the terrace because they "had some equipment". (The manager did not give me notice of this, but that is another issue). They were in and out of my unit about 4-5 times, in the span of approximately 2 hours. (I also had to wipe my floor after them.)

From what I could see, their equipment (which they carried on them) was not such that they could not have lowered it form the roof, like they did a few days ago. I do not see why they *had* to go through my unit, and I wonder if I can simply refuse to allow access in future. What are my rights in this matter??

Thank you!

Emma

Nope, they're allowed to go through your unit - particularly if it has anything needed to hook up the trolley mechanism's they use.

Typically they post warnings in the elevator's regarding this - I don't think they need to give you notice the day before - depends on the condo board.

Moreover, I think it's Ontario law they cannot take their shoes off for some odd reason (even inside the unit?) ... not to sure.

hmm, Real Estate forum we go!

Yes. The Condominium Corporation has a right (maybe even a duty) to enter Units if that is necessary to access common elements - such as balconies/terraces. See Condominium Act:

"Right of entry

19. On giving reasonable notice, the corporation or a person authorized by the corporation may enter a unit or a part of the common elements of which an owner has exclusive use at any reasonable time to perform the objects and duties of the corporation or to exercise the powers of the corporation. 1998, c. 19, s. 19."

"When I'm cleaning windows..."
george_formby.jpg

If the window washers had access to your exterior windows from outside, then they did not require access to your unit.

If they messed up your floors, then they ought to have cleaned up after themselves. You might want to mention this to you property manager in a letter.

Proper notice is more than reasonable as window-washing that can be done from the outside is not an emergency situation and does not require unannounced access.

Do you have window-washing anchors on your deck? If so, that might explain the necessity for such access.

If you're worried about them coming in, while your in your suite, simply buy a rubber door stopper:p

Back