News   Mar 28, 2024
 102     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 230     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 2.3K     1 

Will Today's Condos be Around 150 Years From Now?

^^^ What an interesting photo to look at. Matching up the buildings & streets that are still there today vs, the stuff that's brand new. Basically all the downtown office towers are yet to be built. Curious to see the Bathurst bridge is from that far back as are quite a few buidlings along Wellington West. What's the big sport stadium right by the lake? Cool to see Tip Top lofts. Are you sure this photo is just 50 years ago - 1961? And not earlier?

Not all condo owners live in the condo's they own.

Weather they're resident or not, they still have to pay condo fees, which pay for the management. Management cannot make decisions for owners.

^^^ What an interesting photo to look at. Matching up the buildings & streets that are still there today vs, the stuff that's brand new. Basically all the downtown office towers are yet to be built. Curious to see the Bathurst bridge is from that far back as are quite a few buidlings along Wellington West. What's the big sport stadium right by the lake? Cool to see Tip Top lofts. Are you sure this photo is just 50 years ago - 1961? And not earlier?

It's Maple Leaf Stadium. Hence the name "Stadium Road". It was in use until 1967 and was demolished in 1968
1.jpg

2.jpg

Speaking of which, I wonder what becomes of Skydome when it is inevitably replaced?

Speaking of which, I wonder what becomes of Skydome when it is inevitably replaced?

Maybe it will be reconfigured, but one can hope that such an achievement in stadium design will be preserved given its retractable roof. Plus, so many events have taken place there and will probably take place in the future. The stadium has always had a great presence in the cityscape, too. It doesn't matter that many American cities replace great sports stadiums every couple of decades; not preserving it in some form would belittle a part of the city's past.

Last edited:
I agree. It should be a heritage building, without a doubt. I'm not sold on the idea that we need a new baseball stadium any time soon, but it will inevitably be up for debate in the not-so-distant future.
I guess the question is, what can a building of that size and configuration become if the day comes when baseball isn't being played there? The imagination can run wild (I certainly have ideas), but any endeavour to give it a Maple Leaf Gardens-esque makeover would cost a massive amount that I'm not sure any level of government, or any private sector entity would be interested in pursuing. I could be wrong though.

One question that has always boggled my mind is how the CN Tower would be taken down when the time comes. It would be a very tricky structure to bring down. Any ideas?

I think the Dome will be kept in perpetuity, much like the Olympic stadium in MTL. It does have significant historic and cultural merit and is used for things other than JAys games. Nothing lasts forever though, I suppose at some point it will have to go, but I imagine I'll be long gone before the dome is.

As for the CN tower..they can start by taking down those stupid railings on the roof.

One question that has always boggled my mind is how the CN Tower would be taken down when the time comes. It would be a very tricky structure to bring down. Any ideas?

The top would probably be done with helicopters, like its construction. However, given its history and iconic status as a national landmark with recognition around the world, one can imagine it standing for as long as this city exists. I would think that landmarks like the CN Tower would mean so much to the city and to the history of Canada that we'd want to keep them standing because they're our great achievements and distinguish our city and culture.

Apparently the simple concrete construction is good for hundreds of years before it will wear out.

I think the Dome will be kept in perpetuity, much like the Olympic stadium in MTL.

Probably more likely than Olympic Stadium, or at least more gracefully--after all, it hasn't been dogged by structural or functional issues, and rather unusually for such huge arrays in N American cities, it's managed to integrate itself into the urban fabric, or at least the city's planned an integrative urban fabric around it. It may not be as spectacular, but Skydome's saved by its own inherent conservatism...

Skydome is inherently conservative? I'd disagree with that given it has a hotel, restaurants, a retractable roof... It just so happens that all of these elements are functional and can maintain their function in the long term.

Skydome is inherently conservative? I'd disagree with that given it has a hotel, restaurants, a retractable roof... It just so happens that all of these elements are functional and can maintain their function in the long term.

Aesthetically conservative, i.e. not given to undue visual gymnastics and showy aloofness, despite the roof technology and multi-functionality. Again, Montreal's Big O should be taken as its opposite (or even stuff like Calgary's Saddledome, or BC Place, or any number of imploded US stadia out there). And if you go back to the 80s, Skydome was indeed deemed the most "boring" of the mini-competition schemes, to the point where a political "fix" was suspected (I think, through Premier David Peterson's ties to Ellis-Don).

It's the kind of megastadium that only Jane Jacobs' dull-as-dishwater adopted home could have managed. And that's a compliment.

Unfortunately, the photo doesn't have a specific date attached to it, but from the lack of Gardnier and Lord Simcoe Hotel, it's prior to 1955. On the other end of the time scale, the Spadina Overpass was built in 1927 and you can't see any of the Yonge Subway construction (1949 to 1954).

There are 7 baseball fields that are older than the SkyDome, 2 are currently being replaced and 2 are Wrigley Field and Fenway Park from 1914 and 1912. Even if we get a new baseball diamond, I think the SkyDome will remain a sports/entertainment venue for somewhile.

The Argo's have options to stay there until 2019. Also, it'd be an upgrade from BMO Field for Toronto FC. Another recreational conversion would be to replace the multi-storey quadplex of ice rinks that were proposed for the Lower Don Lands.

Back