News   Apr 23, 2024
 99     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 849     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 288     0 

Will new Loblaws on College kill Kensington Market?

I suppose it all hinges on whether or not the people living by Kensington Market have a strong enough attachment to supporting the local shops over chain stores -- don't know if Torontonians are known for this kind of sentiment any more than people in other cities.

I suppose it all hinges on whether or not the people living by Kensington Market have a strong enough attachment to supporting the local shops over chain stores -- don't know if Torontonians are known for this kind of sentiment any more than people in other cities.
Well, St Lawrence Market is surrounded by huge 24/7 grocery stores and the Market merchants seem to do very well (as do the huge stores).

Couldn't agree more with the above.

Really?

How does Venetia define underserviced? and who exactly is underserviced? Frankly, if anything, Loblaws has demonstrated to be the most sensitive of major retailers in terms of design and compatibility. The grocery store will serve the neighbourhood, not just Kensington Market, and the Market will persist and continue to evolve over time.
What loblaws will do like they did at dupont and christie, is have low prices, drive out competitors, and then jack up the prices again to their everyday high levels. basic Bus 101

Didn't they make this an Independent City Market? They don't have low prices

I don't view this as detrimental to the market.

I'm sure it will poach some business around the edges, but Loblaws has many limitations (as most big box stores do)

They don't typically adapt well to individual neighbourhoods or provide a high level of customer service.

Just try asking at the local loblaws about Chiles D'Arbol and see what happens...........

LOL

That said, the market can't sit still.........merchants have to be conscious of their weak spots........early closings remain an issue in terms of market share.

If it is an ICM, they are not corporate stores and the owners (if they so choose) have more latitude when it comes to bringing in different products. When the first ICM opened near Liberty Village, the owners reached out via social media to the community asking what types of products people wanted and responded accordingly. A good store owner becomes part of the community.

If it is an ICM, they are not corporate stores and the owners (if they so choose) have more latitude when it comes to bringing in different products. When the first ICM opened near Liberty Village, the owners reached out via social media to the community asking what types of products people wanted and responded accordingly. A good store owner becomes part of the community.

Not sure, but I believe this was to be ICM.

Good to hear about the Liberty location...........in the past I've found that Bloor St. Market has probably the most latitude and expediency in meeting customer requests/needs.

No Frills stores, despite being overwhelmingly in the franchise system seem to have less; as do the various corporate loblaws banners.

But they'll still be somewhat constrained by 'mandatory carry' I imagine.

ie. how much 'flex' space they actually have on their shelves.

Yes, Bloor St. is also independently owned (or was, last I heard) has that latitude. Corporate stores have very little latitude, but they can work around the system somewhat. Creativity and a will to work with your customers can accomplish a lot (we used to own a grocery store).

Yes, Bloor St. is also independently owned (or was, last I heard) has that latitude. Corporate stores have very little latitude, but they can work around the system somewhat. Creativity and a will to work with your customers can accomplish a lot (we used to own a grocery store).

Surprising only in that you seem too energetic to have had a lengthy past! LOL

Seriously, was it a true independent or an affiliate store?

I've always been curious how that works (affiliate stores), as I understand that the franchise/ownership fee is abnormally low, as compared to sales volume, which is why many former store managers can buy in...

But I'm sure you know far more than I about that.

Also always curious how the margins are.

In speaking to someone who 'owns' a major discount store in the City he said margins swing wildly in a way that would confuse anyone not in the business.

He noted he made a killing on potato chips.......but lost over $1,000,000 per year on milk in just one store.

True independent, 25 years. Yes, franchise fee is low but then you're locked in. Margins are low, but you're working on volume. (Net is generally less than 2%) No money on milk for sure but it's offset by prepared foods, for example.

What loblaws will do like they did at dupont and christie, is have low prices, drive out competitors, and then jack up the prices again to their everyday high levels. basic Bus 101

If Loblaws managed to drive out Fiesta Farms and the fruit markets on Bloor Street, I'd be more willing to give this credence.

Unless Loblaws really goes for the same kinds of things you can get in the market itself - specialty meats and cheeses, bulk coffee/tea/nuts/spices, Latin American groceries, etc. - I don't think Kensington will really suffer, except perhaps Zimmerman's.

If Loblaws managed to drive out Fiesta Farms and the fruit markets on Bloor Street, I'd be more willing to give this credence.
my brother-in-law grew up in the area and its what eh said - there were supermarket(s_ there and loblaws moved in and they are gone. Fiesta Farm remains but I am not sure if that is considered small.

my brother-in-law grew up in the area and its what eh said - there were supermarket(s_ there and loblaws moved in and they are gone. Fiesta Farm remains but I am not sure if that is considered small.

I'm curious what supermarkets disappeared with the coming of the Loblaws at Christie & Dupont. There was a smaller Loblaws at Dupont & Huron that became an LCBO, there's a Sobeys near Dupont & Ossington that may be more recent ...

Back