News   Apr 24, 2024
 963     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.6K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 623     0 

why new condos have a bad architecture ?

I don't really get your point. The projects you are posting from other cities look equally a crap as the Toronto examples. I don't see anything elegant about them.

I don't really get your point. The projects you are posting from other cities look equally a crap as the Toronto examples. I don't see anything elegant about them.

You know elegance is harmony and softness in architecture. This elegance is shown in the expression of the architecture,the cladding , the color and how balconies are layed.

Design is mainly driven by developer's margins and willingness to pay for design and less so by the architect.

And I've heard that Toronto developers expect very low architectural fees while simultaneously wanting to fit as many units into a design as possible. Hence we see lots of similar-looking designs.

Of course, you have the higher end condos in Yorkville which can easily compete with design elsewhere, but they're targeted towards the wealthier segments.

Canada has very low standards for architecture design excellence. It's not in our DNA. Canadian's are frugal and will settle for the cheapest design. One just needs to look at our public realm and public spaces. Why would private spaces be any different?

Architectural excellence and the design of buildings are not a priority for builders or buyers. If buyers were more picky and would not buy the poorly designed units/buildings, developers would be forced to improve their designs. Similarly, the political framework and design review panel pushes for more boxy designs and stifles creativity. The result is what we see today, which is near identical buildings that are all rectangular/boxy with the same green/blue glass curtain walls and balconies.

You know elegance is harmony and softness in architecture. This elegance is shown in the expression of the architecture,the cladding , the color and how balconies are layed.

What's the psf cost to buy a condo in one of the examples of architecture you posted that you like, versus the condos you don't like in TO? Off the top of my head, that may be a reason for 'less' architecture in many of our examples.

Seems to me, if we have a more expensive building (The One, 1 BE, M-G towers) the architecture improves. There's also several examples of the same in Yorkville condos.

Well said.It sad that Canada is like that. In every country, there is a culture of luxury and beauty except here.But Montreal and Edmonton have a pretty good architecture.
I will show you.I would be glad to see an entertaining district like ice district in Toronto.It the biggest in Canada with the dix30 in Montreal. I realized how boring is Toronto.
You will see in Montreal and Edmonton that every building has a personality and a style.

Montreal style

building-gallery-mtl.jpg

edmponton symphony.jpg

Attachments

• building-gallery-mtl.jpg
    building-gallery-mtl.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 894
  • edmponton symphony.jpg
    edmponton symphony.jpg
    489.8 KB · Views: 835
Last edited:
I can't take you serious when you put up Edmonton as an example of good architecture. The projects you are showing from Montreal look like most of the condos we are see in Toronto.

Only the Hyatt looks interesting, and depending on what cladding they use it could be a disaster. The others don't look any more creative or attractive than what is being built or proposed for Toronto. In fact I would some of those are very bland and even unattractive. I have seen L'Avenue, Tour Canadiens and Rocabello- they would be a perfect fit in North York. YUL is nice- but we have a lot of those in Toronto with more to come. You are not supporting your assertion very well in my opinion.

I support well my assertion and i know what i mean.When i talk about condos architecture, i talk about recently launched condos.They lack style and beauty.Build a box with big balconies is not architecture at all. I already shown what is it.At least for the Edmonton style, they are not the best looking towers, but they are pleasing to see for eyes contrary to many in Toronto. Beauty is in elegance and boldness in architecture. I will show another exemple.

These tower are just balconies and are really poorly executed.there is No style, no beauty and no harmony.This is not architecture at all.Unfortunately, the majority of condos are now like that.

clover-condo.jpg

2 Boxy tower that are boring but acceptable and even pretty.There is a style and harmony.Honestly this is the style of condos built 10 years ago and i prefer it to the other one.

rosedale on bloor.jpg

Attachments

• clover-condo.jpg
    clover-condo.jpg
    411 KB · Views: 797
  • rosedale on bloor.jpg
    rosedale on bloor.jpg
    272.2 KB · Views: 1,139
Last edited:
There was no change in design.It a extra cost for developers so the design will again suffer.Get ready for the worst design ever.

What makes them examples of good condos? I appreciate it's subjective.

Attractive and distinguishable architectural features, elegant massing and proportions, and high-quality materials. These are buildings that make Toronto's cityscapes more attractive and interesting. They make the city better in that regard. But I think we need to up the ante towards building attractive buildings that also push architecture and design forward on the world stage, like the Gehry or BIG projects. I hope those projects succeed, as they have the potential to enhance the city considerably.

Back