News   Apr 25, 2024
 271     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 482     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.4K     1 

why new condos have a bad architecture ?

enrigue8

Member Bio
Reaction score
Developers only build boxy building with ugly balconies.
And when they break the trend of ugly balconies, it not better.
Even if there is some exception like One bloor, ey tower or 1 Yorkville, It not enought.
Honestly,we have one of the worst architecture in the world and soon these building will become a true problem for the city and its population.
So, I wonder why so many new condos and building in Toronto have a so poor architecture ?
Who is responsible for this ?
I just love Toronto and i want to see it more beautiful.

I have some exemples
condos ugly.jpg

condos ugly2.jpg

condos ugly3.jpg

Now compare it to other Canadians cities and you'll see that Toronto can' t match these cities

mtl stly.jpg

Nortwest Vancouver-.jpg

Attachments

• condos ugly.jpg
    condos ugly.jpg
    248.8 KB · Views: 6,381
  • condos ugly2.jpg
    condos ugly2.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 2,258
  • condos ugly3.jpg
    condos ugly3.jpg
    362.5 KB · Views: 2,686
  • mtl stly.jpg
    mtl stly.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 2,346
  • Nortwest Vancouver-.jpg
    Nortwest Vancouver-.jpg
    212.1 KB · Views: 2,230
Last edited:
Yes but in Bangkok most of skyscrapers are beautiful. Every cities has ugly building too.But in Toronto from what i know it worse.

OneEleven Condos is hideous ?! Have you seen it in person ?

How can you put OneEleven on that list, but not the hideous mess next door! Just look at this awful thing!

And to answer your question, it's because buyers don't care about good architecture. Why spend money on making a building look good if someone will buy your crap either way?

How can you put OneEleven on that list, but not the hideous mess next door! Just look at this awful thing!

And to answer your question, it's because buyers don't care about good architecture. Why spend money on making a building look good if someone will buy your crap either way?

So it s buyers faults too ?

What are you so anti-box?

I personally hate Vancouver's "stand out" brand of architecture. (alternative being a basic painted concrete box) It's usually a collection of too many styles haphazardly slapped together onto a jarring form. Things are made to be engineered around view cones rather than follow a particular style. There are few outstanding exceptions. Lot of promising proposals though.

The only non box out of the Montreal examples is Icone which is an absolute disaster of a building. Kudos to Montreal for choosing curtain wall over window wall.

Cabinets and furnishings are boxy too. Units are too small to waste space.

What are you so anti-box?

I personally hate Vancouver's "stand out" brand of architecture. (alternative being a basic painted concrete box) It's usually a collection of too many styles haphazardly slapped together onto a jarring form. Things are made to be engineered around view cones rather than follow a particular style. There are few outstanding exceptions. Lot of promising proposals though.

The only non box out of the Montreal examples is Icone which is an absolute disaster of a building. Kudos to Montreal for choosing curtain wall over window wall.

Cabinets and furnishings are boxy too. Units are too small to waste space.

I m not anti-box .I just want to see more creativity and beauty in skyscrapers here.
Once upon a time,Boxy buildings in Toronto were pretty.But now ,there is no inspiration.
Architecture is the power and the beauty of a city.
I will show some pretty boxy towers In Toronto, that i love myself.

Already built building before 2011
harbourview estates1.jpg

Under construction or recently built
westlake1 new.jpg

I just want to show my opinion.

Attachments

• harbourview estates1.jpg
    harbourview estates1.jpg
    413.4 KB · Views: 2,036
  • westlake1 new.jpg
    westlake1 new.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 2,248
I wouldn't say there isn't any creativity or inspiration remaining in Toronto. It's just overshadowed by the sheer number of towers being built and the confines developers and designers have to work in .

I try not to include my own personal bias in determining the quality of builds either.

I wouldn't say there isn't any creativity or inspiration remaining in Toronto. It's just overshadowed by the sheer number of towers being built and the confines developers and designers have to work in .

I try not to include my own personal bias in determining the quality of builds either.

It because most of the time. this new creativity turn out to be a mess.
Recent proposed or approved creative towers for me are 1-7 yonge, mirvish gehry, stanley condos or garrison point.But these days proposals like 31 parliament street,daniel waterfront ,217 adelaide west or block 22 at concord are not beautiful .
It just my opinion.

Enrigue8, many people share your disappointment with a lot of recent Toronto architectural style. Some of us probably worry that if something happens to the market , then we'll be left with some of the most interesting projects still on the drawing board. I still think the city has the most interesting skyline in the country which is going to be more dramatic in a few years, if that's any solace.

It's kind of like you have to learn to like modernism and neomodernism. I try to keep it in my head that at least we're building. Cities like San Francisco restrict development so much to preserve the character of the city that it's now impossibly expensive. Cities with demand need to build or else the lower and middle classes will never be afford to live there. If a market correction occurs, or even a bust, a lot of millennials will be able to afford to get into the market. This wouldn't be the case if there were no units to purchase. The supply has to be met.

That said, the designs could be better. There are some egregious buildings where everything is wrong. Fly condos has awful cladding, and Aura is a dog's breakfast. Overall though I think you can come to love most of the new buildings with time. It's easier in the long to appreciate filler buildings for being just that.

Now if we wanted to talk about the construction quality of some buildings, well yes, they could really really do better there.

Back