News   May 06, 2024
 349     1 
News   May 06, 2024
 936     0 
News   May 06, 2024
 642     1 

Why do people care so much about granite counter tops?

I think that the word "granite" is often used as a shorthand for "new high-quality kitchen". When you see "granite countertops" in a listing, you know the unit doesn't have a crappy old kitchen from 1989 with scratched laminate counters. Quartz would send the same message.

When we renovated our little condo kitchen last year we opted for granite. With such a small amount of counter space to begin with it really only added a few hundred dollars, so it seemed like a sensible investment. If it helps us sell a bit easier a few years down the road, that's cool. If not, no harm done.

I put in granite countertops years ago and haven't regretted it for a minute. Easy to keep clean, you don't need to worry about burning the countertop. I would think any stone would be similar.

My kitchen has granite counters. Came with the house when I bought it.

However, there are small chips in the edges around the sink. It was a very well used kitchen, and the kitchen is over a dozen years old. It's likely from large pots and pans and their handles banging around the edges.

So, they don't quite last forever like some think they do, but they do last a very long time. And the rest of the granite in the kitchen still looks great. I'm thinking in another 5-10 years I might have to consider replacing it though... although more because it might just make sense to do it at the same time as replacing the wood cabinets too.

Back