News   Mar 18, 2024
 689     0 
News   Mar 18, 2024
 2.4K     4 
News   Mar 18, 2024
 759     0 

Whole Foods

I'd echo concerns about Whole Foods pulling out. I shop there 3-5 times per week, and have always been frustrated at the chronic overcharging, especially where the posted sale price is not rung in at the cash register (2-3 items per trip). This is always blamed on system issues.

Like I say, I was cool with being constantly over-charged. However, over the last year I've seen a sullenness in the staff, and a collapse in freshness (I wont go into details). My guess is that the big L is playing hardball with local growers, and perhaps WF just doesn't have the local buying power to negotiate similar prices. So you're just as likely to see stuff from Mexico when similar product are in season here.

I'm grateful WF forced Loblaws to up their game, but they did.

have always been frustrated at the chronic overcharging, especially where the posted sale price is not rung in at the cash register (2-3 items per trip). This is always blamed on system issues.

It happened a few times for me, but not that frequently. My issue with them is that they sometimes charge taxes on grocery items, that's more my frustration.

Next time they overcharge, go right to the Customer Service desk. You'll probably get the item for free. Check the link below, they are a member.
http://www.retailcouncil.org/scanner-accuracy

I'm surprised Whole Foods can continue to turn profits when they systematically cheat their patrons.

Why do you shop there 3-5 times per week if you're being swindled and you seem not to like the experience?

I'm a weekly Whole Foods shopper and none of that is my experience.

I'm referring specifically to fresh produce, not the bar-coded stuff. The posted special prices are often not loaded in the system. Any way I'm glad your experience is better. The location was very convenient for me.

Anyone know anything about Whole foods in Winnipeg? Local rumour going around but it is Winnipeg...

Beware Whole Foods --- they were pushing big AGAINST GMO labeling. Not to mention that GMO should be totally banned as it is pure poison and evil beyond imagination (like seeds dying in a year and you being forced to buy again, and the seeds spreading to neighboring farms and contaminating those farms. But then it gets even better . . . Monsanto who gave us Agent Orange to give birth defects to thousands of Vietnamese can then go sue the farmers for patent violations. Give me a break!

a better choice would be Big Carrot --- they care

Or if you live up around Thornhill, Natural Life Health Market next to Promenade is a caring family operation

Last edited by a moderator:
Whole Foods has cancelled its planned store in Calgary.

After defending Whole Foods on these forums, I must say in the past year they've really been resting on their laurels/falling behind. This past spring, it was easier getting local asparagus from discount supermarkets than Whole Foods - Whole Foods had the local stuff for a much briefer window than most supermarkets, and even then was really pushing the imported stuff from Washington state. More and more, I find they stock fewer and fewer Canadian products. Most recently, they eliminated most Canadian brands from the household goods aisle (they still sell Nature Clean) - even Cascades paper products got the boot. I went to their Facebook page to inquire, but somebody already had and just got a "yeah, we don't carry those lines anymore - sorry not sorry" response.

Whole Foods starting sliding in Canada as soon as the regional office in Chicago noticed Canada existed.

Initially the first 2 stores (in Ontario) Yorkville and Oakville were very much left to do their own thing.

They became 2 of the most profitable stores in the company.

But after the financial crisis in the US, when the Cdn assets were on a better financial footing.........

Chicago suddenly started paying attention.

They've been moving to make the stores operate like part of the U.S. midwest region.

Spiking anything unique that had developed up here.

And pushing for the Ontario stores to use the warehouse in Michigan.

A long promised Ontario warehouse has not been announced.

Nor has Canada being made into its own region.

They no longer carry duck or venison.

They ditched the most interesting foods in their hot bar (fondly remembering Beef Kari)

Speaking of which, they are moving to contract out many/most of their 'hot bar' foods, having a third party make it,
rather than doing it in-house.

Rather sad to see.

They aren't quite Sears.

But they have really taken their eye off the ball.

I'd be guessing.......but after some poor financial performance in the U.S. and moves to accommodate price pressure.....

I think they are digging themselves a hole.

I've always found Whole Foods to be over hyped and over priced, although I preferred the Yorkville store to any of the US locations I've been to. In Ontario, Farm Boy is a great option, although not in downtown Toronto yet. In the US, I prefer Fresh Market over Whole Foods. I wouldn't buy laundry detergent from any of them, since I can get the same product elsewhere for much lower prices, but when it comes to fresh food, quality matters.

I've always found Whole Foods to be over hyped and over priced, although I preferred the Yorkville store to any of the US locations I've been to. In Ontario, Farm Boy is a great option, although not in downtown Toronto yet. In the US, I prefer Fresh Market over Whole Foods. I wouldn't buy laundry detergent from any of them, since I can get the same product elsewhere for much lower prices, but when it comes to fresh food, quality matters.

Agreed on Farm Boy.

They're now in Pickering, which is their closest (to Toronto) store yet.

And they are currently working out the kinks of an urban format store in Ottawa.

Hopefully, they'll be in Toronto proper in the next 2-3 years.

My only issue wthem was when I tried out the one one in Whitby, I found some of the baked goods had artificial junk.

Hopefully they have or will move away from that.

Otherwise good store.

I'd heard about the urban concept. They're definitely interested in the urban Toronto market but wisely want to test it out in Ottawa first. I'm not sure if I've bought any of their baked goods so I hadn't noticed that but good to know. They make an amazing fig and cheese spread!

I can't remember for sure, but I think it was the Churros they had. It was 'packaged'; but in one of those containers that might leave you thinking it was made in house. Not sure of the provenance.
May as well be Mars. :)

Really Now......just a quick GO Train ride away...........walking distance from Pickering Stn. ;)

Back