News   Apr 17, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 361     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 2K     1 

Where are all the mulberry trees in Toronto?

Ombra mai fu
Di Vegetabile,
Care ed amabile
Soave piu.

Never was made
the shade of a plant,
dear and loving,
or more gentle

In Nordheimer Ravine, the thimbleberries are out in force.

And in a month or so, recommended for the hardcore suicide-risk forager: yew berries--but make absolute sure you spit out the seed...

My wife's parents apartment has a mulberry tree in the rear.

Yummy those things.

I might plant one in my backyard, which already contains a mini orchard of 8 fruit trees.

What kinds?

Trees: Cherry, Sour Cherry, Pear, Apple (2 kinds), Apricot, Nectarine, Plum

We also have grown our own raspberries, blueberries, blackcurrant and redcurrant. That's in addition to the veggie garden.

Guess we're lucky to have a large yard and my wife's parents to help out.

Sounds lovely. I didn't have much luck with blueberries - the soil probably wasn't acidic enough and I wasn't bothered to figure out how to make it so. I planted raspberries instead - two varieties, that ripen at slightly different tmes - and they're spreading like wildfire. There will be a second harvest of berries in a couple of weeks time.

Sounds lovely. I didn't have much luck with blueberries - the soil probably wasn't acidic enough and I wasn't bothered to figure out how to make it so. I planted raspberries instead - two varieties, that ripen at slightly different tmes - and they're spreading like wildfire. There will be a second harvest of berries in a couple of weeks time.

Raspberries are very easy to grow, and you're right. They do spread like wildfire. Our blueberries are currently in our veggie garden, but we'll be moving them next year to a more suitable place. I'll try to post some pics ...

My wife's parents apartment has a mulberry tree in the rear.

i used to have a mulberry tree in the rear. it took a team of 5 surgeons 32 hours to have it removed.

Mulberry foraging is wildcrafting

I linked to this thread in my article on Wildcrafting in Ontario

Toronto mulberry forager would make a good mobile application

So now I'm making a map of Toronto showing all the mulberry trees and I signed up with Shrinkray to make a mobile application that shows all of the publicly owned mulberry trees in the city

Now I need your help finding them all.

I think its a terrific exercise in web networking and the power of interactive media to share this unique information.

Because it never hurts to know where you can get a mouth full of delicious mulberries, for free, anytime in July and August, in Toronto

The western edge of the 100 Wellesley St. E. property has 3 mulberry trees along the fence between 88 & 100 Wellesley E. about 40 feet north of the sidewalk. Technically this is private property but the pathway past these trees through this area to Cawthra Street is not enforced.

Back