News   Apr 24, 2024
 374     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 564     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 492     0 

What's your favourite non-Cantonese Chinese restaurant in downtown?

Most Chinese restaurants in Toronto put their takeout not in "oyster pail" (which more often than not is mainly used to store poutine here) common in the United States, but in styrofoam clam shells, though some Chinese restaurants in Canada are using "oyster pails" for green reasons.

Oysterpail.jpg

This is an oyster pail used to store Chinese takeout food in the United States.

Most Chinese restaurants in Toronto put their takeout not in "oyster pail" (which more often than not is mainly used to store poutine here) common in the United States, but in styrofoam clam shells, though some Chinese restaurants in Canada are using "oyster pails" for green reasons.

That's true. I don't think I've seen the "oyster pail" container in Toronto for takeout at all, Chinese or otherwise, but mainly the Styrofoam ones or perhaps occasionally "bento box" styles.

Are there other noticeable differences in Americanized Chinese food and Canadianized Chinese food, perhaps in the actual food itself?

There is another notable difference between Chinese food in Canada and Chinese food in the United States:

If you ask for fried chicken (without specifying) in a Chinese restaurant in Canada, chances are that you would not receive Southern fried chicken (which is much more common in Americanized Chinese restaurants; Southern fried chicken is very common otherwise in Canada, just not in Chinese restaurants (it helps that Popeye's Louisiana Kitchen (which is known for its spicy Southern fried chicken) has a location in Toronto's [Spadina] Chinatown)) and receive crispy fried chicken instead.

1024px-Fried-Chicken-Set.jpg

Southern fried chicken

Crispyfriedchicken.jpg

Crispy fried chicken (note the difference)

Last edited:
Taste of Yunnan was pretty good the last couple times I went there.
Portions are small, but at least the price reflects the portion size.

Many, many years ago, there was a Shanghainese dim sum restaurant called Fong San (or something like that) on Eglinton/Avenue Road - just a few doors away from Yitz's Deli. For many years, it was one of the ONLY non-Cantonese dim sum places and at dinner, they had Peking duck (and made a show of it as it was carved table side. You don't really see that anymore)! I recall the stinky washroom in the basement (I have NO CLUE what they used to clean, but it made me want to puke). Closed by the time I graduated from high school. I think it's now a kids' clothing store (or was at one point recently).

Back