News   Mar 28, 2024
 164     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.8K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.2K     2 

What's the future for the Conservative Party?

Media should be more careful...They took a story based on limited fact and turned into a moral issue about whats wrong with Canada and etc...

Now I heard a lot of people calling out CBC and The Star as Fake News and such...

More high profile stories like that and I do think Canada will suffer the diease from the South of a large segment of the population simply not accepting basic facts from media instituions.

I think that in the social media era, it would have been impossible to prevent this from going viral, so to speak. As soon as TPS posted that tweet, it was bound to get attention. If Trudeau and co. didn't tweet about it fast enough, people would be critical. In Scheer's case, he was going to get criticized no matter what. The base would say he was pandering to Muslims and his critics would say he was being silent when he should be releasing a statement.

I think that in the social media era, it would have been impossible to prevent this from going viral, so to speak. As soon as TPS posted that tweet, it was bound to get attention. If Trudeau and co. didn't tweet about it fast enough, people would be critical. In Scheer's case, he was going to get criticized no matter what. The base would say he was pandering to Muslims and his critics would say he was being silent when he should be releasing a statement.
This really raises a number of issues. Generally, I don't think you can blame an 11 year old girl for creating an international incident.
  • Why did the TDSB allow the girl to be at a press conference. The general rule is to always protect a minor. If the attacker was real - do we want him to know the name (and thus full identity, address, etc.) of the girl. With the attacker still on the loose - this was extremely foolish of the TDSB?
  • Why did the police allow this to happen. They should have warned the TDSB of the dangers?
  • Why did the police not just release the description of the attacker without identifying the victim?
  • Why did media not add some doubt to the reporting (i.e. using "alleged attack")?
  • Why did any politician use the girls name?
  • If the mother was not in on the lie, it is understandable how she and her daughter could have been used by the TDSB and a system that was looking for a poster child to make a political point. Then why did the girl lie on her own. Is the hijab akin to child abuse and this was her way of lashing out? Should she be removed from that house for her protection? Did she just rip her hijab and come up with the lie?
  • If the mother was in on the lie, why is she not charged with creating the hoax (obstruction of justice)?

A lot of people got fooled by this family. The media, politicians, the general public...
Andrew Scheer also condemned the attack on the girl this week. Take a look at the replies though. The conservative base was calling it made up and attacking the girl for wearing a hijab.
Apparently some people were not fooled - but they are the ones who got criticized.

Apparently some people were not fooled - but they are the ones who got criticized.

When you have no evidence that the case in question was fake, suggesting it is is like yelling fire in a theatre. I mean, let me replace this with I don't know, a case of sexual assault or child abuse - would yelling fake be acceptable?

AoD

These people probably also believe in chemtrails and gay frogs (Alex Jones reference), but they ended up being right for once.

When you have no evidence that the case in question was fake, suggesting it is is like yelling fire in a theatre. I mean, let me replace this with I don't know, a case of sexual assault or child abuse - would yelling fake be acceptable?

AoD

At the time, and in this current environment, they came across as conspiracy theorists.

AoD

But there has been several other fake-Islamophobic-hate-crimes by Muslims against themselves that have taken place in the past year that have gone viral.

But there has been several other fake-Islamophobic-hate-crimes by Muslims against themselves that have taken place in the past year that have gone viral.

And there are real hate crimes. There is also Pizzagate that has gone viral. Your point? At the end of the day, only fools will fake crimes.

AoD

Last edited:
The issue is that instead of the story coming out and saying it is being investigated...

The TDSB and media wanted to make it into a whole spectacle to promote a certain narative.

The issue is that instead of the story coming out and saying it is being investigated...

The TDSB and media wanted to make it into a whole spectacle to promote a certain narative.
Agree. This recent statement by the PM is not helping (stating that although this did not happen, it is proof that Islamophobia is happening), but you partly nailed the main issue. Even beyond that, they should not have used an 11 year old girl as a prop for their political agenda. They could have had the news releases, suspect description - everything necessary, released without her involved.

Indeed. Had this been any other kid alleging some stranger cut their clothing (heck, even their kippah, prayer beads, whatever...) with scissors the police, school board, media and politicians would have reacted entirely differently, it at all. But we had to Islamify the matter, making it politically sensational and a media spectacle. I wish the police had simply reported that a child was allegedly attacked by a random stranger who tried to cut her clothing with scissors, and that they're investigating, full stop.
At the end of the day, only fools will fake crimes.
I disagree. Plenty of crimes are faked, from staged accidents for insurance fraud to a child fibbing about an attack to influence or impress upon a want or need. These aren't necessarily fools.

Plenty of crimes are faked, from staged accidents for insurance fraud to a child fibbing about an attack to influence or impress upon a want or need. These aren't necessarily fools.

Just think about the possible motives and how the public will react upon learning that it was fake. If it wasn't foolish, I don't know what is.

AoD

Just think about the possible motives and how the public will react upon learning that it was fake. If it wasn't foolish, I don't know what is.

AoD
In this case, it's childish.

There's no way this 11 year old girl thought this through, or expected this level of scrutiny or public/media engagement and interest.

I am curious as to her motive or objective.

Back