News   Apr 23, 2024
 19     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 299     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 1K     0 

What would you change if you were the chairman of the TTC?

Mr. Gaimbrone, tear down that wall!

Why do some streetcar and bus routes end or loop at the old city of Toronto border? For example, 40 Junction ends at Runnymede & Dundas, when it could be extended west to Jane Street, at least. Or, the 22A Coxwell, 502 Downtowner, and 503 Kingston Road loop at the Bingham Loop at Kingston Road and Victoria Park Avenue. All those, and others, have to stop at the old iron curtain, as if there were border guards ready to catch a bus crossing the no man's (or woman's) land.

Mr. Gaimbrone, tear down that wall!

Why do some streetcar and bus routes end or loop at the old city of Toronto border? For example, 40 Junction ends at Runnymede & Dundas, when it could be extended west to Jane Street, at least. Or, the 22A Coxwell, 502 Downtowner, and 503 Kingston Road loop at the Bingham Loop at Kingston Road and Victoria Park Avenue. All those, and others, have to stop at the old iron curtain, as if there were border guards ready to catch a bus crossing the no man's (or woman's) land.
I know that the 40 Junction is just a bit weird like that. I guess that Jane isn't much of a destination, and there's not a lot of demand for going to Jane. Also, Runneymede has the Scarlett Road bus which, at least the last time I've been down there, has pretty good frequencies. The Junction basically kind of ends at Runneymede, and I guess the TTC figures a lot of the ridership demand ends there too.

As for the streetcars, I guess it's just a lot harder to build streetcar infrastructure than busses. Busses, you just have to put up some shelters or even signs, and start running busses. I'm not sure whether there are streetcar tracks up to Victoria Park (I don't think so,) but I know it'd be a lot harder to put in than a bus route.

Last edited:
After cleaning house and getting staff that can work to getting and looking after riders needs first, I would give orders to all streetcars drivers that they are to call control when vehicles are blocking or interfering with operation. Once they contact control, they then will proceed to move the vehicle or vehicles out of the way and not worry about the damage or mess they make in doing so.

Vehicle drivers will learn very quickly not to do this since they will be picking up the full cost to cover all damages.

The 2hr transfers would be part of house cleaning.

Next thing is to stop reinventing the wheel for various items and start buying those items that have been in the market for years with track record to back it up.

Come up with a network plan and cost to say this is what it going to take to move people as well get them to ride transit and this include working with the 905 to do it.

Making transit free.

reduce the fare instead of increase it,
$6 single day passes, $9 family day passes
open subway until "after" the bars close at 2am to demote drinking and driving,

increase gas tax by 1cent/litre to pay for all of this.

Implement Presto across the TTC
Fund DRL study, then build DRL
Turn Eglinton LRT to subway
Finish Sheppard subway

Oh yeah, renovate all subway washrooms. They stink!

Back