579     0 

What to do with old bicycles?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Admiral Beez

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
I've bought a new bike and need a home for the old one. I've found some bicycle recycling or re-using firms in Toronto, but I'd like it to go to a charity rather than a business that sells donated items.

I've bought a new bike and need a home for the old one. I've found some bicycle recycling or re-using firms in Toronto, but I'd like it to go to a charity rather than a business that sells donated items.

Just put it out on the street, it will be gone in a few minutes. Where to? Either a good home, broken down for parts (or scrap if it's a crappy bike, unfortunately), or someone who will put a little bit of effort into it to sell (oftentimes on Kijiji). Either way, you can't lose. There's a whole mini economy based around bikes that is rather interesting.

Oh yeah, and if you do decide to just leave it on the street, put a sign on it saying that yes it's "free". Sometimes those who pick it up are hesitant or worried that they're in possession of something that was previously stolen/dumped.

Just put it out on the street, it will be gone in a few minutes.
Absolutely agree, and as for me bicycles are never old until they riding, like my favorite essay writer told me when I wrote about how I get rid of my old roller-skates. Don't you have some kids in the yard? I'm sure some lucky would be pleased, and you can be sure your house won't be covered with toilet paper this halloween ;)

Just put it out on the street, it will be gone in a few minutes. W
Not in my neighbourhood. Some layabouts will certainly take it, but only for a joyride and then dump it somewhere. It needs to go somewhere where it's sold, thus forcing the new owner to assign personal value, even if for five bucks.

I've looked into these bike pick-up services and am not convinced they really help folks in need of bikes, but instead collect the bikes and re-sell them for profit. Nothing wrong with using them for revenue generation, but where does the money go.

I've checked with Goodwill and they take bikes, so I'll likely do that on my next clothing dropoff run to Goodwill.

There are several things you go do with old bicycles:

Make it into a Motorized Bicycle, which makes a good Winter Project.

diamond_back_motorized_bike_bicycle_motor_moped_scooter_39_12904.jpg

Make it into a Rail Bicycle

6a0120a7ed5f9d970b016765d77eeb970b-pi

If you want you can even convert it into an electric bicycle

Peter%20Gross%20Electric%20Bicycle.jpg

Make it into a lovely Ski Bicycle

bike1.jpg

I would suggest you can either leave them somewhere where someone will take it. You can also sell it to a bike shop for them to use the usable parts. You could make some quick cash, by selling it for a cheap price, to a bicycle shop, and you can get it off your hands.

Thx, but going to Goodwill. They can sell it, and put the money to a good cause.

EDIT - both bikes and kick scooters dropped off today at Goodwill. They seemed very pleased to have them, and I'm glad they'll find new homes and generate some revenue for a good cause.

Last edited:
For future reference I run a food bank in the junction area. A good portion of our people use bikes but there's always others who would appreciate it. TheTorontoSharingPlace.org.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back