News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.3K     1 

What is the best next transit upgrade in the Sheppard East corridor

What is the best next transit upgrade in the Sheppard East corridor

• Extend the Sheppard subway to STC

Votes: 9 31.0%
  • Extend the Sheppard subway to Agincourt (GO RER station), but not to STC

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Build Sheppard LRT (Transit City / low floor), retain a transfer at Don Mills Stn

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Build Sheppard LRT, convert the existing subway tunnel to LRT even if it costs a lot

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Convert and extend as high-floor LRT that can fit into the subway tunnel more easily

Votes: 14 48.3%
  • Convert and extend as a narrow-body subway or ICTS to save the extension costs

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • No rail changes, enhance the bus service east of Don Mills (BRT or more express)

Votes: 6 20.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Convert into one technology or extend the subway. Anything else is playing with fire that may not end well for side... Again

Also I didn't see abandoned tunnel and run above ground LRT. Although that would never happened as its political suicide against North York and admittance of a wrong.

Last edited:
I said BRT. It's absolutely not my first choice for that corridor but I think it's the most politically feasible and something entirely on the surface would be affordable and ridership growth would enable a more ambitious plan to be feasible in the future.

That said, very few trips on Sheppard actually have a destination on Sheppard. It's merely the easiest corridor between the source/destination. We could build BRT (or a subway or an express helicopter service) on Vic Park/Warden/Kennedy and capture many of the same riders.

Last edited:
How about this? :

subway-5110-02.jpg

It's 20 years past due but would save at least 30 minutes commuting time from McCowan to Dufferin. I dare any other "solution" offer up similar results.

How about this? :

subway-5110-02.jpg

It's 20 years past due but would save at least 30 minutes commuting time from McCowan to Dufferin. I dare any other "solution" offer up similar results.

It's not due for another 50 years at least, there is no ridership justification for a Sheppard Subway, and any "solution" that blows this much money on one corridor will deny transit to several other corridors and make things worse off than what should've been.

It never ceases to infuriate me, all these subway fanatics, and shameless vote pandering weasels that keep pushing these lines while thinking they are a bunch of geniuses are really just screwing us all and are oblivious to it.

- Convert the existing subway to LRT
- Extend and connect to Downsview
- Extend LRT to Scarborough Town Center
- Extend LRT to Morningside and Sheppard to meet with Eglinton LRT

In no particular order

It's not due for another 50 years at least, there is no ridership justification for a Sheppard Subway, and any "solution" that blows this much money on one corridor will deny transit to several other corridors and make things worse off than what should've been.

It never ceases to infuriate me, all these subway fanatics, and shameless vote pandering weasels that keep pushing these lines while thinking they are a bunch of geniuses are really just screwing us all and are oblivious to it.

But these people don't care about using the limited pool of funds wisely. All they care about is their subways and to hell with everyone else's desperate transit needs. So yes I agree with your post entirely.
I voted for Convert to high-floor LRT as the least wasteful option for this corridor.

Is it only me, or does the voting add up to 145%?

Also interesting that the Transit City is polling near last. Maybe that explains the transit backlash that occurred in the past half dozen years.

I'm still undecided between 1, 2, 6 or 7

How about this? :

subway-5110-02.jpg

"Narrow body subway" option would yield same speed. "High-floor LRT" option would yield a speed that is only slightly worse if the stop spacing is wide.

Proper BRT (with reserved centre-running) would be a cost-effective but significant upgrade, which could branch to STC and Agincourt, and host other routes or branches going further east. I think BRT in general makes much more sense for the suburban context, where trunk rail routes lose their effectiveness due a lack of high-density corridors. I think all of Toronto's major suburban streets, with 36 m ROWs should have BRT, even if it's just plastic bollards and simple platforms (like streetcar-island platforms, not VIVA's big stations).

Is it only me, or does the voting add up to 145%?

Also interesting that the Transit City is polling near last. Maybe that explains the transit backlash that occurred in the past half dozen years.

I'm still undecided between 1, 2, 6 or 7

The poll allows each participant to select up to 3 options, thus the sum of all counts exceeds the number of participants.

I think in the polling there should be an option of: extend subway to SC, but more affordably (e.g max 4-car train/100m platform, possible use of elevated guideway east of Kennedy, and/or use of Line 3 ROW). With this possible option no one needs to utter the word ICTS, or see the accompanying 'proprietary' descriptor. It'd still be a 100% conventional TTC subway line/extension...just built not as gargantuan, and with lower per km cost.

I doubt I'd vote for it, or any of the options. Not that I think they're bad. I'm partial to SELRT (but think the SC connection needs to be figured out better), and fully believe the conversion to a Crosstown-style LRT line has unstudied merit.

Back