News   Apr 19, 2024
 323     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 8.9K     2 

What I Miss About Toronto In 60's

2001: A Space Odyssey came out. You had to see it in the theatres for the Cinerama™ experience.

How_Cinerama_is_projected.gif

I'm glad i went to school before the junk food bans took place. My elementary school had Coke machines and vending machines loaded with junk food. In high school we had burgers, fries, pizza..etc How did we survive??

Junk food bans aren't stopping the kids from eating pizza or burgers, they just go to the nearest fast-food joint or corner store for junk food. The pizza shop in my neighborhood is packed with high school kids at lunch hour.

We had a Coke machine - TWO in fact - in the cafeteria. This was in the 90s. In elementary school, our pizza lunch fundraisers (monthly, except for June, when we got hotdogs on Play Day) consisted of a slice of pepperoni, a can of orange crush (or CPlus) and ice cream or Timbits.

Radio or television not working properly? Maybe the vacuum tube needs replacing. There were those vacuum tube test machines in most smoke shops or convenience stores for just that.

tubetester.png
Hey, right up my electronic alley. I'm a 'tube guy' worked with Marshall Amplification in the UK and other companies here I won't mention developing toroidal output transformers for tube amplifiers. I've worked with and for the largest Cdn company using them, and worked with the foremost designer in the Netherlands on them.

Tube testers are still around, they're handy, but often limited in what they can tell you about a tube, even with forward conductivity readings. (Trans and Mutual Conductance) It's best on high-end equipment to just measure static values with a quality multi-meter, and then do measurements in circuit under actual load. Whatever, they epitomized an era.

Ted at Ring Audio on Carlaw at Lakeshore has one still, and uses it. He also has a collection of old tubes, many of them NOS (New old stock). Ted's also an avid cyclist, drop in and say 'Hi from Steve'. When he asks "which Steve?"...give him a description of my cycling and tube background, he'll know immediately.

In fact, that pic might have been taken at his place, I see high-quality audio gear stacked on the shelves behind.

Radio or television not working properly? Maybe the vacuum tube needs replacing. There were those vacuum tube test machines in most smoke shops or convenience stores for just that.

tubetester.png
Our TV was not working one night. Total disaster...we only had 1 tv in those days and the Leafs were playing on HNIC that night. Game time was 8:30 in those days...it was 5:30...My Dad opened up the back of the tv and found a blackened tube and sent me over to Meyers Smoke Shop on Bloor Street near Madison Ave. to test it. Sure enough, it was a bad one...Mr. Romano, who ran Meyers Smoke shop had one in the cabinet at the bottom of the tester. My Dad joked that I should pay him a service call fee for his work. Nicked me for a nickle! But we watched hockey that night!

Our TV was not working one night. Total disaster...we only had 1 tv in those days and the Leafs were playing on HNIC that night. Game time was 8:30 in those days...it was 5:30...My Dad opened up the back of the tv and found a blackened tube and sent me over to Meyers Smoke Shop on Bloor Street near Madison Ave. to test it. Sure enough, it was a bad one...Mr. Romano, who ran Meyers Smoke shop had one in the cabinet at the bottom of the tester. My Dad joked that I should pay him a service call fee for his work. Nicked me for a nickle! But we watched hockey that night!
That's one thing I love about old tech, you can fix it yourself. My 1969 Triumph motorcycle is case in point, I can fix almost anything on it, meanwhile my 2016 Subaru is a complete mystery.

That's one thing I love about old tech, you can fix it yourself. My 1969 Triumph motorcycle is case in point, I can fix almost anything on it, meanwhile my 2016 Subaru is a complete mystery.
You got a Bonnie? 4 or 5 spd? And the essential question: How big is the oil leak from the engine cover seal?

I had a '59 Francis-Barnett with a Villiers 200cc 2 stroke scrambler with leading link front suspension back in '69. Oh man, the shid we got into in those days...

It was underpowered, but a great frame. Eventually gave it to a friend to chop into something with a bigger mill. Used to have a Beezer Cub too, with a 125 cc mill! Grossly underpowered, fixed rear suspension (none, not even the internal hub one they had on some), it too was chopped into something with muscle.

I used to have these given to me by Hoggers who wouldn't be seen dead on them. I'd fix them up to the point of being worthy of much larger blocks, and some of those old frames had a class to them for show bikes, they weren't up to highway riding with the brakes and handling being unfit for the task, albeit it wouldn't surprise me if some did do that, street-legal or otherwise.

Edit: Correction, it was the Triumph that made the "Cub", what I had was the "Bantam", and this is the it:
3d8630cfd0e35032c3052317919a69ac.jpg

I had no idea it was that old until digging for this pic. When I got it as a many-hands-me-down, it had no fenders, chain guard or anything else removable, save for the battery case, saddle and headlight assembly, which had a rotary switch on top necessary for turning the ignition on/off as well as the light. Until I got the timing right on the magneto, we used to push it over to St Mark's Rd hill at Humbercrest to bump start it.

That one ended up with a friend who become one of the top persons in the Vagabonds Bike Club. He made that machine mean. Nuff on that one...

Last edited:
You got a Bonnie? 4 or 5 spd? And the essential question: How big is the oil leak from the engine cover seal?

I had a '59 Francis-Barnett with a Villiers 200cc 2 stroke scrambler with leading link front suspension back in '69. Oh man, the shid we got into in those days...

It was underpowered, but a great frame. Eventually gave it to a friend to chop into something with a bigger mill. Used to have a Beezer Cub too, with a 125 cc mill! Grossly underpowered, fixed rear suspension (none, not even the internal hub one they had on some), it too was chopped into something with muscle.

I used to have these given to me by Hoggers who wouldn't be seen dead on them. I'd fix them up to the point of being worthy of much larger blocks, and some of those old frames had a class to them for show bikes, they weren't up to highway riding with the brakes and handling being unfit for the task, albeit it wouldn't surprise me if some did do that, street-legal or otherwise.

Edit: Correction, it was the Triumph that made the "Cub", what I had was the "Bantam", and this is the it:
3d8630cfd0e35032c3052317919a69ac.jpg

I had no idea it was that old until digging for this pic. When I got it as a many-hands-me-down, it had no fenders, chain guard or anything else removable, save for the battery case, saddle and headlight assembly, which had a rotary switch on top necessary for turning the ignition on/off as well as the light. Until I got the timing right on the magneto, we used to push it over to St Mark's Rd hill at Humbercrest to bump start it.

That one ended up with a friend who become one of the top persons in the Vagabonds Bike Club. He made that machine mean. Nuff on that one...
Beauty, but don't chop British bikes! Yikes.

Here's mine, 1969 Triumph T100S 490cc.

IMG00385-20110403-13192.jpg

Same here.
We had a Coke machine - TWO in fact - in the cafeteria. This was in the 90s. In elementary school, our pizza lunch fundraisers (monthly, except for June, when we got hotdogs on Play Day) consisted of a slice of pepperoni, a can of orange crush (or CPlus) and ice cream or Timbits.

I was in Middle and high school in the 90s and the cafe had fries and gravy, special day (I think Tuesday) was pizza. Everything was typical cafe fast food. I know some people hated that type of plasticky microwaved food, but I loved it. Is it not like that anymore?

Same here.
I was in Middle and high school in the 90s and the cafe had fries and gravy, special day (I think Tuesday) was pizza. Everything was typical cafe fast food. I know some people hated that type of plasticky microwaved food, but I loved it. Is it not like that anymore?

Oh lord...the memories of HS in the early 90s. 25 cents chocolate chip cookies freshly baked at the cafeteria in the morning (2 + milk = breakfast); $1 medium fries with gravy, served with cheapo ketchup (and a buck more with grilled cheese). Sure beats packed lunch.

AoD

Back