News   Apr 23, 2024
 157     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 889     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 292     0 

What I Miss About Toronto In 60's

I am really kind of sad that I just found out the house I grew up in in the 1960's, 478 Huron Street has been up for lease for 7 months. The house belongs to Bloor Street United Church, where my Dad was the head caretaker from 1959-1992 when he retired. We lived on the top 2 floors and the bottom floor there was a nursery school, that ran from 7 am to 12:30pm thru the school year, from Sept to June. It was a beautiful family home' We originally lived at 476 Huron Street, but in 1963, 476 had to be torn down to build the subway. So the city renovated 478 and the church swapped 476 for 478 and 476 was torn down. My parents made it a family home with a ton of love and a lot of good memories growing up. I moved out in 1974 to go off and get married. My brothers and my sister followed suit as their adult lives developed.

In 1992, my Dad retired from Bloor Street United Church and my parents moved to Trenton. The church (I assume) then had it re-zoned to Commercial property and it was leased out to the United Church Observer, a newsletter sanctioned, I guess by the United Church of Canada.

In 2013, my Dad had dementia and both my parents moved to a nursing home in Scarborough. My wife and I arranged for a tour of Bloor Street United Church as well as the house at 478 Huron...we were hoping to take a lot of pics of both to show my Dad, hoping it would spark his memory. The staff of Bloor Street United Church and The United Church Observer were very accommodating and let us go thru both the church and the house, taking lots of pictures and re igniting many warm memories...even though the house was now an office building (OMG they removed the claw footed slant backed bathtub...but then why would an office need a bathtub?...none the less my wife almost cried).

My Dad never saw the pics...he deteriorated quickly into severe dementia and died in October, 2013. My Mom followed him 13 months later...they were married 65 years. But myself, my 2 brothers and my sister remain grateful for the warm loving memories they provided in a house that was kept clean, modern and comfortable to grow up in.

Why am I telling you all this? Well, the subject is What I miss about Toronto in the 1960's...the home life provided by my parents in that house at 478 Huron Street should be at the top of my list.

In fact, I resent men wearing baseball caps (or any hat) at a dinner table...whether its in a restaurant or at home.
Why? I can't imagine giving a second thought to something as trivial as a stranger's hat, let alone caring enough to actually resent the person. It doesn't affect me and it's none of my business.

Why? I can't imagine giving a second thought to something as trivial as a stranger's hat, let alone caring enough to actually resent the person. It doesn't affect me and it's none of my business.

Well, first of all, MisterF, lets set the record straight. I didn't say I resent the person. I resent the act. Huge difference in what I said and what you interpreted. Why do I feel that way? Well, the way I was raised, the dinner table was a place for family discussion. How can you talk to people if you cannot see their faces because they are hiding behind a hat? You may think its old fashion, but if you attended a classy dinner table, the wearing of a hat is considered a complete violation of proper table etiquette...it makes one look like a classless hick. The wearing of a hat inside is generally considered an etiquette no no.

http://www.advancedetiquette.com/2010/04/hat-etiquette/

I also think families who sit in front of the tv with their food on their laps are missing a golden opportunity to connect with their family...especially the children. As a child of the 60's, my family spent a great deal of time around the kitchen table talking. My parents took interest in our lives and no subject was taboo...politics, school, life, neighbourhood events, news and current events. That is only possible when your family interests are focussed on each other and not the fantasy of tv shows. Its a great way of letting your kids know that there is a place in the world for them instead of having your kids or the adults buried in their electronic devices at the table.

Well, first of all, MisterF, lets set the record straight. I didn't say I resent the person. I resent the act. Huge difference in what I said and what you interpreted. Why do I feel that way? Well, the way I was raised, the dinner table was a place for family discussion. How can you talk to people if you cannot see their faces because they are hiding behind a hat? You may think its old fashion, but if you attended a classy dinner table, the wearing of a hat is considered a complete violation of proper table etiquette...it makes one look like a classless hick. The wearing of a hat inside is generally considered an etiquette no no.

http://www.advancedetiquette.com/2010/04/hat-etiquette/

I also think families who sit in front of the tv with their food on their laps are missing a golden opportunity to connect with their family...especially the children. As a child of the 60's, my family spent a great deal of time around the kitchen table talking. My parents took interest in our lives and no subject was taboo...politics, school, life, neighbourhood events, news and current events. That is only possible when your family interests are focussed on each other and not the fantasy of tv shows. Its a great way of letting your kids know that there is a place in the world for them instead of having your kids or the adults buried in their electronic devices at the table.
All this over a hat? lol. I don't know what kind of hat blocks people's faces and prevents conversation. Maybe you're running into Spiderman a lot? Or Beekeepers? :D

On a more serious note, your sentence could be interpreted two ways: the resentment could refer to the act of wearing a hat or to the man wearing it. I see that you meant the former. Still, whether or not a man wears a hat in a restaurant has no impact whatsoever on his ability to have a conversation with his companions. More importantly, it doesn't affect your enjoyment of the restaurant, your family life, or your sense of etiquette. If he's not disturbing you, what's the problem? There's nothing wrong with someone not following the same hat etiquette as you.

Maybe living your life the way you want and not worrying about how other people live theirs is a nice post-60s attitude to have.

Interesting vid...thank you W. K. Lis for posting it.

Mister F.... I guess we should agree to disagree. You are certainly entitled to your opinion as I am mine, and we should walk away from this one with all due respect.

But if I invite you to my table, you will be expected to remove your hat. If you invite me to your table, you can set your own standards. LOL

Interesting vid...thank you W. K. Lis for posting it.

Mister F.... I guess we should agree to disagree. You are certainly entitled to your opinion as I am mine, and we should walk away from this one with all due respect.

But if I invite you to my table, you will be expected to remove your hat. If you invite me to your table, you can set your own standards. LOL

...if there is a hat hook, that is, to put my hat on. Otherwise, I'll keep it on.

prod3060014_HW07

LOL...There is a hat hook in our front closet just inside the front door...all of my grandkids use it!

Anyway, back to the subject at hand: What I miss about the 60's in Toronto...

-Louie the "Lots of Butter, Charlie" popcorn man bicycle cart on Huron Street (he sometimes sold roasted chestnuts too)

LOL...There is a hat hook in our front closet just inside the front door...all of my grandkids use it!

Anyway, back to the subject at hand: What I miss about the 60's in Toronto...

-Louie the "Lots of Butter, Charlie" popcorn man bicycle cart on Huron Street (he sometimes sold roasted chestnuts too)

I miss the popcorn man, as well. From link.

201448-pop-corn.jpg

Guess hot dogs are more profitable.

Touché, Admiral Beez. Thank you.

Thanks W. K. Lis for posting that link...Popcorn was 5 cents and I forgot about the candy apples.

I am really kind of sad that I just found out the house I grew up in in the 1960's, 478 Huron Street has been up for lease for 7 months. The house belongs to Bloor Street United Church, where my Dad was the head caretaker from 1959-1992 when he retired. We lived on the top 2 floors and the bottom floor there was a nursery school, that ran from 7 am to 12:30pm thru the school year, from Sept to June. It was a beautiful family home' We originally lived at 476 Huron Street, but in 1963, 476 had to be torn down to build the subway. So the city renovated 478 and the church swapped 476 for 478 and 476 was torn down. My parents made it a family home with a ton of love and a lot of good memories growing up. I moved out in 1974 to go off and get married. My brothers and my sister followed suit as their adult lives developed.

I'm a bit late to the game here but I'd like to mention that my brother and I attended Mrs. Band's Nursery School at 478 Huron St. during the early 1970's. My parents still live on Admiral Rd. nearby. My mother would drop us off there on her way to her teaching position at the U of T. I have very faint memories of playing in the back yard there, as well as in the front room. It was/is indeed a grand old house! I had no idea the nursery was only on the first floor but I suppose that makes sense.

Back