News   Mar 18, 2024
 713     0 
News   Mar 18, 2024
 2.5K     4 
News   Mar 18, 2024
 765     0 

What happened to the stores BiWay and Tip Top Tailors.

wild goose chase

Member Bio
Reaction score
I still remember them still being there at least to the end of the 90s.

Did the company that owned them not do well because of competition with other clothing stores, or what happened?

Tip Tailors is still around with multiple locations across Toronto and the rest of Ontario.

The company that owned these (and other) brands was called Dylex.....it was an acronym for Dam your lousy excuses....and was supposed to be the operating phylosophy in the company (ie. don't make excuses, just get stuff done).

If I recall correctly, the company was created by a partnership of a bay street financier and a clothing industry veteran and operated as a holding company for a bunch of retail brands and went on an expansion spree (I think at one time Harry Rosen) was part of the group.

A combination of factors brought them down....over expansion funded by debt, a failed foray into the states and clashes of personality.

Tip Top is still around and caters to the large demographic of men on a budget who are not particularly style-conscious.

Tip Top is still around and caters to the large demographic of men on a budget who are not particularly style-conscious.
A fair number of their brands are still around.......but not owned by the same folks as before and not all owned by the same folks.

^not sure it has anything to do with the original chain....just trying to steal/borrow the name....the store is, after all, called BiWay Zone

What are some better alternatives to Tip Top, Moores, etc.?
I always felt that these stores offered pretty poor service and value.

What are some better alternatives to Tip Top, Moores, etc.?
I always felt that these stores offered pretty poor service and value.
Value Village, Dancing Days. That's usually where I pick up my tuxedos for jogging and deep ravine hiking.

Back