Toronto West Harbour City | ?m | 36s | Plaza | BDP Quadrangle

exactly! I am just happy to see gray wasteland become habitable shining towers. Its going to be very cool to walk or drive along this section of Lakeshore when all is completed. And with CityPlace to the north and east it will form a cohesive , uninterupted link with the downtown core. This is much preferable to nodes of development seperated by decaying buildings, parking lots and brown fields....

exactly! I am just happy to see gray wasteland become habitable shining towers. Its going to be very cool to walk or drive along this section of Lakeshore when all is completed.

You find boring architecture filled with empty unoccupied units to be cool?

Man, you should get out more.

investor:

Nothing in your postings thus far suggested any degree of congruency with my point. In fact, I don't recall the real estate industry in general have any particular interest in creating real mixed income neighbourhoods, beyond feel good/social responsiblity announcements. It simply isn't their "job".

PS: If facisttoronto.ca displeases you so much, you are welcome to seek to voice your opinions elsewhere. Why keep on coming back?

AoD

I return to brush up on my literary skills and torment those of you who genuinely believe Toronto is coming close to achieving anything worthwhile architecturally, stylistically or sociologically with its current push for remarkably dull and unappealing superstructures. The goal should be to create neighborhoods, not vertical subdivisions. If you think that the 'Success Tower' is a better imprint on the urban landscape than either a supermarket or heaven forbid some urban greenspace then let's just agree to disagree.

I won't apologize for my quest for higher standards- in women or development.

The quality of the architecture on some of the larger projects - eg: ROCP is underwhelming. Its frustrating because I'm convinced better design wouldn't cost any more. Its a huge responsibility putting up twin 50 story buildings that will dominate the downtown skyline for 50 years - so how could pseudo-gothic flying buttresses get through the approval process?

Many of the international capital, not just the post-imperial ones, have ahuge inventory of gems along their major boulevards - why dont we?

Once this real estate cycle ends - and it will/has - we'll have to wait another 10-20 years for another chance. For that reason every building in the core matters. It seems to me that Toronto often excels with mid-rise loft area condos, but frequently underachieves over 30 floors. Not sure why, its not hard to look to other cities for inspiration - just copy Chicago, Sydney, Berlin for heaven's sake!

Hmm I think it was in the 2003-2004 condo guides; phase 2 in 2005-2006 condo guides.

But i agree, the area is ugly and the condos even uglier; I'll take 1,000 Freedville-style density to the harbourfront area.

Phase 1 sent on sale starting May 2005, and ending July 2006. Phase 2 went on sale in July 2006 and ending May 2007.

The expected occupancy for Phase 1 was May 2008, it has since been delayed until April 2009, which is in line with the other developments that were on sale at the time (London, Murano, etc...), Met being the only one that has been completed on schedule.

Search "troll" in on-line dictionary.... copy definition.... paste in UT thread.

One wonders if you take the same joy in revelling in your imagined, omnipotent (life sucks) wisdom ... at parties (with real people in attendance)?

Of course not.

No-one would invite your toxic ass to a party. All the best for a complete recovery. :p

"I return to brush up on my literary skills"

A work in progress...

"I won't apologize for my quest for higher standards- in women..."

A continuing quest, characterized by frequent apologies...

"The goal should be to create neighborhoods, not vertical subdivisions."

Neighbourhoods aren't just made. The goal should be to create better architecture- whether highrise, mid or lowrise. All forms can be visually appealing and make perfect sense in suitable contexts.

Search "troll" in on-line dictionary.... copy definition.... paste in UT thread.

One wonders if you take the same joy in revelling in your imagined, omnipotent (life sucks) wisdom ... at parties (with real people in attendance)?

Of course not.

No-one would invite your toxic ass to a party. All the best for a complete recovery. :p

And all the best to you on a life outside virtual worlds.

Come on, enough already. On topic please.

I just love the fact that he referenced "women". Bit the bait, he did, he did...

Methinks Investor needs to get out more. " ... torment those of you who genuinely believe Toronto is coming close to achieving anything worthwhile architecturally, stylistically or sociologically with its current push for remarkably dull and unappealing superstructures..... "

Honey, if torment is your goal, you'll have to try harder. I'm not sure you're up to the task, frankly. What I find soothing is travel, because when I do I see that every city, everywhere, is a grab-bag of hits and misses, experiments that failed, and projects that soared. When I return home to my beloved Toronto, the city I chose to live in simply because I wanted to be here, I am reassured that we are doing quite well, because in spite of it all, we are accomplishing some great things.

You, on the other hand, come off sounding like a web-trolling geek who can find pretty things on the web that are just so much better than what you have to put up with or settle for in real life. Perhaps that applies, as you say, to women as well.

Have any of you people actually been to jurisdictions that don't automatically rubber stamp massive high density projects? Take Santa Monica, California for example. They impose incredibly strict controls on new development and as a result the people of that city are given very high quality developments with a eye towards the long term future of the area and its desirability, not just the short term tax grab.

You people (from what I gather) have been spending far too much time in your insular Toronto condo bubble unaware of how incredibly lenient (and progressive) it is as far as new development. While I concede the benefits of intensification, I also recognize that we shouldn't be pushing density for sake of it and sacrificing character and design.

Actually, Investor, I usually compare Toronto with cities, rather than resort-style subsections of urban agglomerations. For the record, in the past year I've been in Tokyo, Osaka, Kyoto, Seoul, Rio, Brasilia, Sao Paulo, Curitiba, Salvador, Rotterdam, Boston, New York, Savannah, Vancouver, Calgary, Moncton, Seattle, Portland, Iqaluit, Tel Aviv, Jerusalem, Amman, Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Amsterdam, and probably some others. You picked the wrong person to call "insular".

Back