Toronto Pan Am Village in the West Don Lands | ?m | ?s | DundeeKilmer | KPMB

I find that many older areas of this city exhibit a dominating colour of brick (usually red), as is the case here with grey. The major difference comes down to the fact that those bricks vary slightly in hue because of historical manufacturing processes, smaller suppliers, and variable aging. These differences add vibrancy to the walls. We will see over time whether these bricks will age well and create some sort of variety in hues. Is anyone aware of whether these are, in fact, laid bricks - or are these pre-cast panels?

I believe it's mostly laid bricks… but if you can't tell if there are any panels, would it matter if there were? I'm not convinced that pre-cast brick-like panels are necessarily evil. They look great on the Florian!

Agreed entirely. It seems people are more against the idea of precast brick as opposed to the reality which can often fool the best of us.

I believe it's mostly laid bricks… but if you can't tell if there are any panels, would it matter if there were? I'm not convinced that pre-cast brick-like panels are necessarily evil. They look great on the Florian!

For sure - the Florian is a good example of good pre-cast brick paneling, as is One St. Thomas' "stone" facade. I think those will age well. I was mainly thinking of some of the other developments in the city that haven't been as fortunate.

The Canary District webcam is back up and it looks like most of the TO2015 temporary structures are gone:

upload_2015-9-20_13-12-19.jpeg

AoD

Attachments

• upload_2015-9-20_13-12-19.jpeg
    upload_2015-9-20_13-12-19.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 662
I wonder how long the temporary park on the future TEN Arquitectos building site will remain: you wouldn't want Torontonians to get too used to it, just to have it be ripped away to be turned into a condo. 99% of people in this city would think that a park was sold to an "evil" condo developer. It's nice to have greenery there now, but DundeeKilmer will likely do themselves a favour if they take it out before the public get a chance to enjoy it.

I noticed today that "Old Eastern Avenue" is now reopened right through to Lawren Harris Square and Lower River. Cherry still closed between Mill and Eastern and Front between Trinity and Cherry (and further east.) The City site says that streets west of Cherry and Cherry itself will all reopen by September 30 so things seem to be on track. (Then Cherry will close again (or be restricted) at the rail bridge as they tunnel a sewer connection - apparently about 6 weeks.)

I wonder how long the temporary park on the future TEN Arquitectos building site will remain: you wouldn't want Torontonians to get too used to it, just to have it be ripped away to be turned into a condo. 99% of people in this city would think that a park was sold to an "evil" condo developer. It's nice to have greenery there now, but DundeeKilmer will likely do themselves a favour if they take it out before the public get a chance to enjoy it.

I imagine a sign being put up stating that the park is temporary and home to a future development, such as what Waterfront Toronto did on the block north of Sugar Beach and Corus (the mound adjacent to QQ).

It's amazing what the PanAms achieved, and in a climate and context where so little of substance or quality is achieved by the city! It's exciting to imagine what the Olympics would do for us one day... 2028!

Back