Toronto Pan Am Village in the West Don Lands | ?m | ?s | DundeeKilmer | KPMB

I love the breathaking pace of development on this major project.

This is a good example of the benefit of hosting a major international event - forcing all levels of government to act quickly to meet a firm deadline.

Louroz

They really need to get started on this sooner rather than later..

We don't want to end up in the same situation as Vancouver and Montreal with unfinished venues/villages when the games come around!

They really need to get started on this sooner rather than later..

We don't want to end up in the same situation as Vancouver and Montreal with unfinished venues/villages when the games come around!

Well hopefully but I am starting to fear that Toronto will not be able to finish its venues (and therefore will not be fully prepared) before the games commence (it'll be embarrasing for Toronto)....I guess that shouldn't be a surprise to many of us given what we see in our city (i.e. missed timelines and delays in infrastructure upgrades and building completions; both with the public and private sectors).

Well hopefully but I am starting to fear that Toronto will not be able to finish its venues (and therefore will not be fully prepared) before the games commence (it'll be embarrasing for Toronto)....I guess that shouldn't be a surprise to many of us given what we see in our city (i.e. missed timelines and delays in infrastructure upgrades and building completions; both with the public and private sectors).

Uhhh... why are you beginning to fear this? Because the city, which is not in charge of Pan Am construction projects and doesn't build buildings, and private condo builders, who give heavily optimistic timelines to lure buyers, don't stick to theoretical timelines?

While the recent discovery (shock! Omigod!) that the site for the pool needs to be cleaned up, I've heard of zero snags with any other Pan Am site (now that Hamilton's soccer stadium/gift to the Ticats seems to have been pulled from the roster).

As for the WDL site, the infrastructure build here is smoking along; the contracts have been let for the Athletes' Village, and there have been no delays on anything else, as far as I know.

I read in InsideToronto that KPMB have been awarded the contract but can't find any other news source.

The old Dow plant on the east side of the Don River mouth is the eyesore in that shot. The size of the property is probably similar to the West Donlands and the two complementary developments will be quite something when completed - though we'll obviously be waiting a little longer for that one.

The old Dow plant on the east side of the Don River mouth is the eyesore in that shot. The size of the property is probably similar to the West Donlands and the two complementary developments will be quite something when completed - though we'll obviously be waiting a little longer for that one.

Dow? I thought it was a soapmaker. Are there any development plans for that site? Last I heard the new owner had shut it down and locked out the workers to consolidate production somewhere else, but that's been awhile now -- I don't remember when the strikers finally shut down their Tent City, but even that's been a year, at least.

I read in InsideToronto that KPMB have been awarded the contract but can't find any other news source.

They are the Architect of Record- the real architects of the pan am village is TEN Arquitectos- which is amazing news, finally some good architectural standards. The worst thing would be for another standard Toronto Firm taking on such a large project perpetuating the so called bland "toronto style"

thank god

http://www.ten-arquitectos.com/

Have you actually looked at the sites 'on the ground' or even on a map? The West Don Lands is MANY times larger. That said, it will be interesting to see some development on the east side of the Don, but I think that this area is still listed as being on a flood plain and it will continue to be until the Mouth of the Don flood work is completed (should the Fords not start building Ferris Wheels.

Please, ferris wheels or no ferris wheels...the mouth of the Don River flood work which was originaly planned in June/2005 should have been completed a couple years ago.

I think you are confused between the Mouth of the Don flood protection, which was studied in the last few years and whose EA is now with the Ministry; this will protect the areas east of the Don River with the flood protection in the West Don Lands which was studied in ca 2005 and is now complete and the areas west of the Don north of the rail berm are protected. That's why the Pan-Am athletes' village and the developments in the Distillery can be built there.

Dow? I thought it was a soapmaker. Are there any development plans for that site? Last I heard the new owner had shut it down and locked out the workers to consolidate production somewhere else, but that's been awhile now -- I don't remember when the strikers finally shut down their Tent City, but even that's been a year, at least.

What I heard is, the plant is designed to make powered laundry soap and has changed hands several times over due to the weak consumer demand for powdered laundry soap. Conversion is not economically feasible. I think we'll start seeing redevelopment plans soon along the lines of a multi-phased commercial office park.

What I heard is, the plant is designed to make powered laundry soap and has changed hands several times over due to the weak consumer demand for powdered laundry soap. Conversion is not economically feasible. I think we'll start seeing redevelopment plans soon along the lines of a multi-phased commercial office park.

Not a condo, what makes you think it'll go commercial ?

Back