News   Mar 28, 2024
 200     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 2K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.3K     2 

wellesley & sherbourne area...how is it

To each his/her own. Safety is a relative term anyways. Personally when it comes to safety I ask myself this: "would I be ok with my kids playing outside unsupervised?" in this area(and many other areas but we are discussing wellesley & sherourne), no.

Are there any truly downtown areas where this is completely true for young kids? Possibly pockets of Cabbagetown or St. Lawrence, or for neighbourhoods that are not truly downtown (Yorkville, Riverdale, Trinity-Bellwoods).

Generally speaking I don't want to live in an area where I can't walk down a certain street, be out past a certain time, or can't associate with certain people.

Esp when I'm spending $200k+ on property

Wow, welcome to downtown! You could spend five times $200K and still not meet your criteria. Supply & demand.

"If I'm spending $8000+ on a new car, I want it to be loaded, with a V8, and it's jsut gotta be built in Germany."

Are there any truly downtown areas where this is completely true for young kids? Possibly pockets of Cabbagetown or St. Lawrence, or for neighbourhoods that are not truly downtown (Yorkville, Riverdale, Trinity-Bellwoods).

Wow, welcome to downtown! You could spend five times $200K and still not meet your criteria. Supply & demand.

"If I'm spending $8000+ on a new car, I want it to be loaded, with a V8, and it's jsut gotta be built in Germany."

$8000 for a new v8 car built in germany is unreasonable.

$200k or as you said 5x that amount it should be a given that its in a safe community. Similar to a $500k condo, quality finishes are a given(or should be;)). Why else would you pay so much???

Supply & Demand only applies if Downtown is the only place to live, well its not. I won't sacrifice my safety for a box in the sky. If its for investment purposes sure why not DT is a better ROI plus you dont have to live there you can rent out like a lot of owners do.

I like DT as a cool scene to visit but not to rest my head.

I wanted to re-open this discussion, as it's been a few years. I'm considering buying property int his area - more around Parliament & Wellesley. I've noticed significant clean-up in the area over the past few years but I noticed that quite a few buildings are rentals. I am hesitant and was wondering if the potential for increasing value is capped as a result. I was surprised to see some units at 225 Wellesley going for $420k considering the area and the size...but I'm a first time buyer. Thoughts?

Both! I'm looking for a 2 br + 2 w. I've been having a tough time finding a place that I can fit within my budget, isn't a crummy build, and is in a decent area. I saw a couple of places around the area that I can afford, but skeptical of the return. I have fluctuating plans, so I'd like to rent out the entire place and/or a room depending on my living situation.

You don't want anything to do with 225 Wellesley. They have ongoing fights with the developer, from what I've heard. Also, it's the friggin ugliest building in Toronto, so do you really want to say you live in the ugliest building in Toronto?

The buildings to the North comprise St. Jamestown, which is generally a landing community for new immigrants. The strip of Wellesley from Parliament to Sherbourne isn't the greatest.

Can you afford The Verve, 500 Sherbourne or Jarvis Cooper mansions?

well that fits with my instinct, I was very hesitant to put an offer despite my agent's encouraging thoughts on the value.
I'm not sure what properties those are - I'll have a look and see! Probably not if they haven't been showing up in my MLS searches

ouch. You think?
It doesn't look like I can afford the Verve, 500 Sherbourne, or Jarvis Cooper...my upper max max MAX limit is $430K.

ouch. You think?
It doesn't look like I can afford the Verve, 500 Sherbourne, or Jarvis Cooper...my upper max max MAX limit is $430K.

Do you have your mind absolutely set on Parliament & Wellesley?

You still have choices for a 2 bdrm in the downtown core under $430k. For example, you can go further south to the Esplanade for a 2-bdrm well under $400k. If you don't mind somewhere along King St., 2-bdrms can be had within your price range near Church St.

Do you have your mind absolutely set on Parliament & Wellesley?

You still have choices for a 2 bdrm in the downtown core under $430k. For example, you can go further south to the Esplanade for a 2-bdrm well under $400k. If you don't mind somewhere along King St., 2-bdrms can be had within your price range near Church St.

Hi James-
No definitely not! I'm looking for any place that is 30 via public transit from the core. I've been trying to find a place that is under 400 and with maintenance fees around 50 cents per square foot...but have not had luck. I'm avoiding cityplace and fort York complexes. It's been tough so I'm thinking I should increase my max to 430k, but keep the 50 cent goal. Still unsure of what is good for townhouses though. I really like some of the lofts I've seen but I'm also avoiding ones with open concept bedrooms, which sadly nixes the Hanna ave lofts

I would take a look at 1 bedroom plus dens which would allow more flexibility with your budget. Take a look at 19 Brant Street unit 302. It is 800 sq foot and well laid out.

You won't find a building with maintenance fees of 50 cents anymore. Realistically with parking you will be averaging 60-65 cents a square foot. Best of luck with your search.

Thanks. I'll go for a 1+1 if I decide to live on my own - was hoping for a 2br so I could rent out the other room

Fifty cents a square foot is very low for condo fees. Get a really good real estate agent and then you check out the building looking for any signs of vandalism, graffiti, water leaks and mould. Check for leaks on all the underground floors.

YOU must be able to read the declaration, bylaws and rules.The financial statements are next; you must be able to understand them.Your real estate lawyer will not look past the status certificate, if that and a condo lawyer will want $3000 to read and then explain the documents to you.

I have written three full pages on things to look for when buying a condo. I have been in my latest condo for almost a year now and I love it. However, I spent hours checking the building and reading over the financials before buying. My checking paid off. I am in a very good one.

225 wellesley will turn into the james town apartments in no time.

I would steer clear - you might as well 'rent'

Back