Toronto Waterlink at Pier 27 | 43.89m | 14s | Cityzen | a—A

I was there yesterday and I was disappointed to find that the idea that these towers are open to the waterfront rather than an obstruction, permeable to public use of the water's edge, isn't true in person. While at a large scale, the towers and the bridges convey a sense of welcoming to the waterfront, the ground level walkways exclusive to residents defeats that concept.

This comes across as Waterfront Toronto requiring that openess but when it got to the city approving its construction, somebody missed the point entirely and allowed for these walkways to obstruct open access. Along with the giant wall on its eastern edge, it's clear that this segment of the waterfront is going to be private and that's a terrible shame. Knowing this now, I would be completely opposed to any residential use south of Queens Quay. It should have been all institutional with open access for all. There is plenty of land available north of Queens Quay for condos.

That area between 29 and 39 buildings are open access as far as we understand it... and there will be a new park on the west side of the 29 and the new tower (currently a parking lot)... there are multiple ways to get to the lake for the general public. Now as to why there's a wall between Redpath and the building... I don't think Redpath want people to be walking into their factory randomly?

If you're thinking why you can't access that part of the edge now... might be because its under construction and none of the residents can access it either?

I know that there is access between the 2 groups of 2 towers. But the towers were designed perpendicular to the waterfront to convey permeability. At ground level, this isn't the case, so in practice there isn't this openness to the waterfront, only an illusion of it.

I understand why there can't be access to the Red Path lands but building a wall wasn't the right solution. A water installation preventing access beyond that point with trees or an art piece covering the view beyond might've worked. It should've been done so that people reach the edge of that path and are guided north along the east most tower to Queens Quay where you'd proceed to Sugar Beach. Instead, one has to back track quite a bit to then head north from there. Then you have this different design along that stretch. All said, it gives a sense of private land where you get the feeling that you are trespassing.

At the very least, I hope that some sort of large art piece is placed against this wall so that it's welcoming rather than imposing.

I just drove by. There's a huge lineup of maybe 100 or so people presumably for some sort of sales opening. I might go back later to see what the commotion is all about.

Ah yes, must be it. Thanks for the link!

No more purchases for me though. I was interested in some resales a few months ago, but the prices were a bit higher than I was willing to fork out. Nice looking finishes from what I saw.

It is the VIP event for the tower... the prices are quite high (even higher than phase 2&3) from what I heard.

It wasn't the VIP event for the Tower at Pier 27; it was the broker information sessions. VIP event is next week.

As Automation Gallery mentioned, the thread for that phase is here, and the new dataBase file with plenty of new renderings can be accessed from that thread.

There was quite a bit of landscaping going on around the base of the Waterlink buildings today, including in the new park area to the south…

DSC05643.jpg
DSC05642.jpg
DSC05641.jpg
DSC05644.jpg
DSC05645.jpg
DSC05648.jpg
DSC05650.jpg
DSC05646.jpg
DSC05651.jpg
DSC05647.jpg

Attachments

• DSC05641.jpg
    DSC05641.jpg
    434.1 KB · Views: 804
  • DSC05642.jpg
    DSC05642.jpg
    252.1 KB · Views: 783
  • DSC05643.jpg
    DSC05643.jpg
    305.2 KB · Views: 793
  • DSC05644.jpg
    DSC05644.jpg
    402.6 KB · Views: 795
  • DSC05645.jpg
    DSC05645.jpg
    446.5 KB · Views: 788
  • DSC05646.jpg
    DSC05646.jpg
    331.1 KB · Views: 789
  • DSC05647.jpg
    DSC05647.jpg
    319.4 KB · Views: 760
  • DSC05648.jpg
    DSC05648.jpg
    414.4 KB · Views: 796
  • DSC05650.jpg
    DSC05650.jpg
    669.3 KB · Views: 790
  • DSC05651.jpg
    DSC05651.jpg
    332.7 KB · Views: 793
Oh wow, serious, it's like they just turned the switch on... thanks for the pics! I guess they want to show the brokers that are coming today they work hard lol.

Haha it is pretty funny how they don't do anything for months, launch another project right next door while Pier 27 is still a construction zone, and then all of a sudden start working again.

In my experience it's generally not a good time. It's best done in the spring, as it's (sometimes) wetter, cooler, so the tree has some time to take root then it gets a lot more sunlight in the summer. By the time the fall rolls around the tree has grown a fair bit and can handle the winter.

They are going to have to make sure these are watered on a fairly regular basis. When it's this hot out, it's not exactly a good time to plant trees. They probably should be waiting, at this point, for the beginning of fall.

Back