Toronto Waterlink at Pier 27 | 43.89m | 14s | Cityzen | a—A

Because the man evaded city taxes for years and left that rotting hulk there. Streets etc are usually named after people who have done something that benefits the city

Unless it was named after the restaurant rather than the man. The ship was a landmark and a fixture of the waterfront for a number of decades and wasn't always the dilapidated rotting hulk that it was before removal. As a piece of Toronto's history it makes a bit of sense (to me anyway) that there would be some kind of recognition in place.

It was named in October 2013 based on this motion (by Councillor Joe Mihevc at Council: "City Council request the City Manager and Waterfront Toronto to find a way to recognize the contribution of Captain John's to waterfront revitalization through an appropriate historic plaque in consultation with the local Councillor."

July 11

It was named in October 2013 based on this motion (by Councillor Joe Mihevc at Council: "City Council request the City Manager and Waterfront Toronto to find a way to recognize the contribution of Captain John's to waterfront revitalization through an appropriate historic plaque in consultation with the local Councillor."

Contribution to the waterfront revitalization? Hah, do they mean going bankrupt because of his terrible food then letting someone else tow the ugly rusting hulk away?

Yeah, Mihevc might be feeling nostalgic, but I don't have a shred of regret over that boat's departure, and I don't see any need to physically memorialize it.

Contribution to the waterfront revitalization?

He was one of the first non-industrial things down there so yes there was a contribution to the waterfront revitalization.

Back