News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.7K     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 831     3 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.3K     3 

Waterfront: Lower Yonge Precinct Plan

Are you saying that the majority of people are going to Queens Quay (underground) station? If so, that's definitely not true. All the stops along Queens Quay generate considerable demand, in my experience using the 510/509. Queens Quay Station likely isn't even the busiest stop on the line.

I was referring to SB am demand from Union, which is probably the peak ridership on this line. The streetcars are full at Union and even now I guess perhaps up to half get off at Queen's Quay station. With lower yonge still much to be developed, that percentage probably grows

I was referring to SB am demand from Union, which is probably the peak ridership on this line. The streetcars are full at Union and even now I guess perhaps up to half get off at Queen's Quay station.

I can assure you from personal experience, this is not the case. The streetcars are full all along Queens Quay, with there often being more demand than the streetcars can handle.

Quite possible - also I don't know for which configuration. Some versions include even more platform space for the Bremner streetcar line ... I don't know what happens to that if they turn Bay Street into a walkway (probably a underground loop west of York and Bremner, or turning up and/or down Spadina to King or Bremner, looking at the various June 2016 options.

I don't hate the Bay/Freeland proposal ... is that still floating around? It solves the through traffic on Queens Quay versus Bay Tunnel dilemma, with a simple everything runs though but no loop solution.

View attachment 105547

Something like this is the best by a long shot, and I really do hope it's still floating around. Solves a lot of issues, still Union-centric but would offer high vehicle/pass. throughput considering the lack of a loop. I can't envision a surface transit mall working well at all, and the moving walkway is simply silly. A continuous underground tunnel with a repurposed loop however...it's a winner. I don't think we've seen it costed though, but I can't imagine it being all that much more than the original loop expansion.

I can see the transit mall working but I don't see the need for double ended cars. A loop could be formed going around old city hall and/or via Richmond-Sheppard-Temperance. It also allows for many other operational routing options. New routes could be formed by turning off Bay onto King using it is a quick return to Spadina. You could have a scheduled downtown loop run in the AM or PM rush depending on the origin-destination demands. As Union I would:
- have 2 streetcar tracks at surface using the western half of the Bay Underpass
- have the eastern half of the Bay underpass still be for North bound vehicle traffic to access the Bus terminal and Front St.
- begin 1-way east bound traffic on Front at York St.
- re-purpose the existing union loop as a pedestrian link between the union lower level and points east of Bay.

Recommended infrastructure changes/construction includes:

- easterly extension of Harbour Street (from Yonge Street to Lower Jarvis Street),
- realignment of the Yonge Street/Harbour Street intersection,
- conversion of Harbour Street from one-way eastbound to two-way operations (from York Street to Yonge Street),
- shortening of the Lower Jarvis Street off-ramp from eastbound Gardiner Expressway
- removal of the Bay Street on-ramp,
- reconstruction of Yonge Street (Queens Quay to Front Street) and lower Jarvis Street (Queens Quay to Lake Shore Boulevard East),
- construction of a new street, extending between Queens Quay East and Lake Shore Boulevard, east of Cooper Street, and
- extension of Cooper Street north to connect with Church Street and The Esplanade.

The estimated cost for the transportation infrastructure identified in the Lower Yonge Precinct is $122 million including design and property acquisition costs. This excludes the cost of the proposed Cooper Street extension, which has been identified as a long-term objective.

--

For my part, I'll be looking to see if PWIC whittles down any of the pedestrian and cyclist safety detail.

I think that any 'whittling' will happen when the $$ are allocated rather than here but ...

Oh I agree, but I read the staff recommendation as an approval of the associated funds...

Correct me if wrong, though.

Oh I agree, but I read the staff recommendation as an approval of the associated funds...

Correct me if wrong, though.
I fear you are wrong. "Funding for this infrastructure is not currently identified within the 2017-2026 Approved Capital Budget and Plan for Transportation Services. A strategy to secure funding through the development review process and the Development Charge By-Law Review are being pursued."

Something like this is the best by a long shot, and I really do hope it's still floating around. Solves a lot of issues, still Union-centric but would offer high vehicle/pass. throughput considering the lack of a loop. I can't envision a surface transit mall working well at all, and the moving walkway is simply silly. A continuous underground tunnel with a repurposed loop however...it's a winner. I don't think we've seen it costed though, but I can't imagine it being all that much more than the original loop expansion.

If you shifted the E-W part of the tunnel so it was north of the rail corridor, you may be able to tack its construction onto the development of the 3rd Bay Park tower, or whatever is done by the new owners of the Dominion Public building...build the tunnel and station into the lower levels of those towers.

Recommended infrastructure changes/construction includes:

- easterly extension of Harbour Street (from Yonge Street to Lower Jarvis Street),
- realignment of the Yonge Street/Harbour Street intersection,
- conversion of Harbour Street from one-way eastbound to two-way operations (from York Street to Yonge Street),
- shortening of the Lower Jarvis Street off-ramp from eastbound Gardiner Expressway
- removal of the Bay Street on-ramp,
- reconstruction of Yonge Street (Queens Quay to Front Street) and lower Jarvis Street (Queens Quay to Lake Shore Boulevard East),
- construction of a new street, extending between Queens Quay East and Lake Shore Boulevard, east of Cooper Street, and
- extension of Cooper Street north to connect with Church Street and The Esplanade.

The estimated cost for the transportation infrastructure identified in the Lower Yonge Precinct is $122 million including design and property acquisition costs. This excludes the cost of the proposed Cooper Street extension, which has been identified as a long-term objective.

--

This was adopted without amendment at PWIC today and will proceed to Council on 28 June.

At TEYCC today the building at 75 The esplanade (Church and The Esplanade) got the go-ahead. This may be of interest here:

"It is staff's opinion that the most recent submission date stamped February 16, 2017, along with the proposed community benefits under Section 37 of the Planning Act and the conveyance to allow for the future extension of Church Street south under the railway corridor to the lake is appropriate." This is not going to happen soon but when the Green P lot is redeveloped .....

Back