947     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 575     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 278     0 

Warhol

B

building babel

How many of us are interested in meeting at the AGO one weekend, going in to see this show as a group, and maybe wandering around town a bit later and causing as much trouble as possible?

Which day?

What time?

Babel; the show, the wandering, the trouble - I'm there. If by weekend you mean only Saturday or Sunday, it may be a while before I have one of those avaiable, but if your weekend includes Friday evening, then August 4 would be good for me, 6.30 or 7 fine (as the gallery is open until 9).

Should there not be a groundswell for that date and time, I'll understand...

I was thinking Saturday or Sunday, but Friday night might have fans too. Let's see how much interest there is ...

Following the AGO visit, there is a concurrent Warhol show in Oakville that may also demand a look-see: Wall to Wall Warhol

Summer hours for it are: T 1-5, W 1-5, T 1-8, F 1-5, S 1-5, S 1-5

As part of our Hinterlands Tour, We Four Queens took in the show at the Oakville galleries yesterday.

Wall to wall Warhols indeed. Three small rooms and a stairwell crammed with prints: Hammers and sickles reduced to abstract shapes, a Campbell's soup can, a Black Lenin, most of the Ten Portraits of Jews in the Twentieth Century ( 1980 ) and the livelier and more graphically interesting Ladies and Gentlemen ( 1975 ) black drag queen series, a Mao, the Torso ( a willy, though not a frisky one ), assorted panda bears, elephants, Chanel bottles, you name it. And some polaroids of little Joe. Quite the show from quite the gay collector. And he's quite the benefactor too, to the renovated 519 Church Street in particular.

Lovely gardens. A bright but overcast day without shadows, making all the flowers look like Warhol prints. Nice location for a gallery, next to the lake.

Back in town, a Darkstar sighting as we drove along Church Street. Then on to see the Mao that one of us - not I - has in his collection. I prefer it to Bachir's - this is a more queenly Great Helmsman, with purple eye liner and Joan Crawford lipstick.

Back in town, a Darkstar sighting as we drove along Church Street.
Really? I'm never on Church, well...rarely!

BTW, We Four Queen's could really be Five yesterday as one of my good gay friends works at the Oakville Galleries.

Back