Toronto Vü Condos | 83.51m | 24s | Aspen Ridge | Hariri Pontarini

May 22:

Hoarding up.

vucj0.jpg

(Search tool requires a minimum of four characters. Not good when searching for "Vu")

I received a newsletter from them this past week, and it mentions that construction is to begin next month. I assume it's July.

Probably late July I bet, but either way, it seems as the excavation is going pretty quick since they only started in April.

One of the thing I like to do when taking pictures is getting shots that have never before been taken. These two are examples of this. For decades the old Goodwill blocked the view from here as an impressive skyline sprouted up behind it. This view changed last year when Goodwill was torn down. This view will remain for a year or so more when it will again be blocked this time by Vu.

VuCondo-May18,07(1).jpg

VuCondo-May18,07(5).jpg

That first shot is great. When looking at the skyline from the east I always picture it as the signal strength bars on cellphones.

^Well, yes -- first you have to dig a hole to plant a crane.

I am trying to visualise the Toronto skyline two years from now, with all the cranes there will be then (barring a major economic downturn, of course). I imagine that there may be several dozen cranes visible at once, depending on location.

Bill

Vu Public Art Plan:

www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2007/te/bgrd/backgroundfile-4554.pdf

The public art plan proposes a public art “zone†to be addressed by the competing artists. This zone includes the prominent corner Adelaide Street and Jarvis Street, the public access route through the site, the building face, the courtyard and ground level lobby. The plan also directs a portion of the art funds towards the required heritage feature.

The selection process is a two stage invitational competition with a proposed list of artists. The jury composition includes one developer representative and a majority of art experts, one of whom will be a local representative.

objectives for this public art program are:
To create a landmark artwork marking the terminus of Jarvis and Adelaide Streets (from which point Adelaide jogs south before continuing east). There is a $650,000.00 budget.

Artists invited to the competition:
David Rokeby, Toronto
Rod Quinn, Vancouver
Inges Idee, Berlin
Jody Pinto, NY
Dennis Oppenheim, NY
Mauro Staccioli, Milan
Atelier van Lieshout, Rotterdam
Jackie Ferrara, NY
Brouwer Hatcher, Lake George, NY
Tom Patti, Pittsfield Ma.
Dianne Bos/Ian Paterson, Calgary and Paris