News   Apr 24, 2024
 332     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 534     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 482     0 

Visited Montreal for the first time. Some questions about their Metro system

I rode the Yellow Line on a Sunday morning, and it was really busy. The line needs to be extended further into Longueuil.

Not just wider, but longer as well. Toronto subway trains are absolutely massive by any standard.
By most standards yes, but NYC runs longer trains with the same width on their IND lines; and BMT line trains are the same width, but 30 feet longer than ours. Even the IRT lines run narrower, but longer trains.

Trains on IND lines (except for the C and G train) are 600 feet, running either 8 car 75' trains or 10 car 60' trains.
BMT trains run in 8 car 60' train sets.
IRT trains run 10 car 53' trains (11 car trains on the 7).

One thing I like about what NYC has done is having 60 foot trains. Toronto could run 8 car 60' trains and have 8 more doors to board per train, while using the entire platform length.

The TTC has far better trains, though they make tunnelling more expensive. They're quieter, more spacious and all air conditioned. What Montreal needs is some comfort refinements to their trains like better sound deadening and air conditioning. The trains really are loud when accelerating and the lack of air conditioning seems dated.

The TTC has far better trains, though they make tunnelling more expensive. They're quieter, more spacious and all air conditioned. What Montreal needs is some comfort refinements to their trains like better sound deadening and air conditioning. The trains really are loud when accelerating and the lack of air conditioning seems dated.

They just ordered a bunch of new trains for the Metro in Montreal

http://globalnews.ca/news/1296093/new-metro-trains-unveiled/

They are quiter.

However they DO NOT have air conditioning. It is not possible.

The tunnels are so small and tight that there is no room on the trains for proper AC units and there is not proper ventilation in the tunnels.

So short of a huge overhaul of the tunnels and some new super compact AC technology it won't happen.

These trains should last another 40 years so not until 2060 at least unless retrofitted.

No air conditioning. Il fait chaud dans le métro!

If you think the guy waving back at the kid is creepy, or the bus driver weird, it's cut for cut from a 1970s promotional video by the STCUM:

LOL amazing. However I still prefer our transit song (Spadina Bus)

There is a great website on the STM "MONTREAL BY METRO" at this link, in English.

Welcome to the unofficial website for fans of Montreal's metro system, the best way to get around the francophone metropolis of North America. This modern rapid transit system is swift, convenient, and inexpensive, and is one of the most architecturally distinctive subway systems in the world.

Unlike many other subway networks, which feature kilometres of identical stations, every station in Montreal is distinct. The system is also beautifully decorated with hundreds of pieces of public art, including sculptures, frescoes, and stained glass.

Too often, people race around underground without appreciating the beauty that can make their commute a pleasure, nor the hard work and creativity that went into the installation of the amenity they enjoy today. This is the place for Montrealers to take another look at what they rush past every day, and for people elsewhere to discover our wonderful city through what lies beneath its streets.

You can choose to read more on the whole network by making a choice from the menus on the left or at the bottom of the screen, or to examine a particular station by scrolling to the bottom of this page and choosing one of the station indices there.

Bienvenue à bord!

Here's some more details about Il fait beau dans l’métro:

http://spacing.ca/montreal/2007/10/15/il-fait-beau-dans-lmetro-behind-the-advertisement/

The two non-dancers who simply smile at the camera were Marc Messier (in the flannel; Anglos might have heard of or seen the Les Boys franchise) and Christine Lamer - both rising Quebec TV stars that were very popular in Franco-Canada but unknown otherwise in this country. Talk about the two solitudes.

Good grief - another thread!?!
Indeed.
I must say I'm not convinced by the strategy of bumping threads that have not seen replies in years, in order to tell us to post elsewhere to discuss Montreal.
Maybe these threads need to be locked to help usher them off of the front page...

Is Montreal going to embarrass Toronto by building more transit capacity faster?

The Eglinton LRT has an earlier opening date than the Pie-IX bus lanes, so I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you. Please read this article from 8 years ago about the immediate and irreversible decision to construct 20 km of subway extensions and 700 million in new streetcar lines to better understand my skepticism.

I'd be surprised if this is built in 6 years.

I'd be surprised if this is built in 30 years.

Back