315     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 1.9K     1 

Village at York Homes (Tribute Communities) - Real Estate -

tgzo

Member Bio
Reaction score
Hi all:

Does anyone or have a friend who have bought a unit at the Village @ York (right at the heart of the university campus).

I am interested in finding out more information about the village at York built by Tribute back in 2005-2006. Does anyone have information about the starting price of these units back in those days? I can't find any information about them on the internet at all.

The reason why I am asking is because I want to know just how far has the price appreciated over the years and how much more upside is there for these semi/detached homes? I may think about buy one in the future.

Thanks to anyone that help out.

Are you thinking of actually living there? Because you should be aware that many of those townhouses were converted to student rooming houses, and that those that were are rapidly degrading into slums. The ones facing Sentinel Road are especially bad. I walked by them everyday on my way to school and work for two years, and a large number of them had trash all over the lawns, peeling paint, weeds, overgrown grass, endless "for rent" signs with cellphone and 905 numbers, and shady looking dudes doing nothing but sitting on the porches smoking weed and drinking beer all day, as I suspect some of them were guarding what were no doubt grow-ops (no snow on the roof in the winter, duck-taped electrical wiring outside). Lots of police activity there.

There are many that are still owner-occupied, and you can tell immediately as they are well-kept. There are certain blocks that are like this, then there will be ones adjacent to them filled with properties like I described. Having seen them built I wouldn't live in them, as they (Tribute) threw them up with cheap materials and cheaper labour, they're already in need of repair, and the area as a whole is isolated and prone to crime from non-University kids living further west over on San Romanoway, Tobermory, and Driftwood. You're seeing gang graffiti on electrical boxes and bus shelters, and the traffic is a nightmare on top of brutal winds in the winter. Just a nasty place, really, and I say that as someone who grew up on Four Winds Drive and loved it (mind you, this was the mid-to-late 1970s, early 1980s. The area isn't what it was).

thanks for the comments, but does any one have further information on the pricing details of the village at york back in phase 1 and phase 2 (around 2005 - 2007 I believe)?

I know people who bought at around 300 brand new and sold at 500 in 5 years. These properties shot up in value due to the current income potential and york universities development plans in the future.
check out
http://yudc.ca/
Check out the York university secondary plan.
Also there is alot of development in that neighbourhood, from Downsview Park development and Humber River Hospital at Keele and Wilson. Basically all of Keele street from 401 to Steels is getting a total makeover and in the next 5to 10 years its going to be totally new neighbourhood, with 4 new subway stations, the best hospital in GTA and the only fully digital one in North America. Also Downsview park is going to have tons of insteresting attractions.
I think the neighbourhood is undervalued, but therefore it has alot of upside potential. The good thing is development and money is already committed, just take a drive up Keele from 401....too much going on...
Me personally think the properties at Four Winds Drive are undervalued given the fact that the subway is coming right at the door of these properties...I am thinking of investing there

Back