News   Apr 25, 2024
 329     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 527     0 

Victorian Toronto in 3D: Stereoscope Photographs from the 19th Century

thecharioteer

Member Bio
Reaction score
One of the biggest rages of the Victorian Age was to view photography stereoscopically. What is a stereoscope?

A stereoscope is a device for viewing a stereoscopic pair of separate images, depicting left-eye and right-eye views of the same scene, as a single three-dimensional image.

A typical stereoscope provides each eye with a lens that makes the image seen through it appear larger and more distant and usually also shifts its apparent horizontal position, so that for a person with normal binocular depth perception the edges of the two images seemingly fuse into one "stereo window". In current practice, the images are prepared so that the scene appears to be beyond this virtual window, through which objects are sometimes allowed to protrude, but this was not always the custom. A divider or other view-limiting feature is usually provided to prevent each eye from being distracted by also seeing the image intended for the other eye.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stereoscope

The fascination of replicated images goes beyond the technology of this invention and, in a sense, is the basis of much of Warhol's work and could even be extended to the beauty of sheets of postage stamps (which today seems almost as ancient as stereoscopic images!). This thread is aimed at appreciating these images in their own right.

The following stereoscopic images are all from the Toronto Public Library collection.

The stereoscope invented by Oliver Wendell Holmes in 1861:

Early Toronto images:

1859, The Bank of Upper Canada:

1859, Osgoode Hall:

1859, University College:

1859, Mechanic's Institute, Church and Adelaide:

1859, Cooke's Church, Queen and Mutual:

1861, St. James Cathedral:

1861, University College:

1870, Yonge & King:

1875, Toronto Street:

St. Joseph's Convent, Wellesley Avenue West at Surrey Place:

Gerrard and Jarvis:

Normal School:

Yonge at Temperance:

More to follow......

Last edited:
1859, Cooke's Church, Queen and Mutual:

What a splendid thread!. I don't recall ever seeing an image of Cooke's (Presbyterian?) Church with its steeples intact. I do recall a rather dour and dirty facade but that is on the fringe of my earliest memories of Toronto after first moving here.

I can't help but wish that my mother had not tossed my View Master and my considerable collection of reels, especially my multi reel set of Queen Elizabeth's Coronation

Oops! Just realized why it looked so unfamiliar. It was replaced in 1891 with the dour version. Pity.

I can't help but wish that my mother had not tossed my View Master and my considerable collection of reels, especially my multi reel set of Queen Elizabeth's Coronation

Available on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/viewmaster-coronation

$T2eC16Z,!)4FI,TR-mUnBSJlV9(YF!~~60_57.jpg

$T2eC16N,!)EE9s2ufg+sBSJlV0fe8g~~60_57.jpg

5214oALL.jpg

Speaking of the Queen, an example of the pleasure of multiple images (philately-speaking):

IMG_0001 - Copy.jpg

Attachments

• $T2eC16Z,!)4FI,TR-mUnBSJlV9(YF!~~60_57.jpg
    $T2eC16Z,!)4FI,TR-mUnBSJlV9(YF!~~60_57.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 927
  • $T2eC16N,!)EE9s2ufg+sBSJlV0fe8g~~60_57.jpg
    $T2eC16N,!)EE9s2ufg+sBSJlV0fe8g~~60_57.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 951
  • 5214oALL.jpg
    5214oALL.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 1,227
  • IMG_0001 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_0001 - Copy.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 952
Last edited:
I'll try to share some tidbits of my Toronto Viewmaster slide collection with thecharioteer and jaborandi. However, I know already it's going to be a bit of a letdown. :( I'll do my best.

R0010976_zps91426d66.jpg

R0010983_zps710f114c.jpg

R0010984_zps66f6c7a5.jpg

R0010985_zps1bc80655.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks, Mustapha. Some of those images are very interesting, particularly the unusual one of University Avenue showing the domes of the Gaol Tzedek synagogue at Armoury Street.

Like the viewmaster images, the stereoscope photos were aimed for a large part to the tourist market, as can be seen on the side of some of them listed "Glimpses of Toronto":

[Note: It appears that the circular flower bed in the last pic is the same one that still exists in the SE corner of the Rosehill Reservoir. The bucolic scenes by the creek would probably be down in what is now David Balfour Park.]

Rosedale Ravine:

The Sherbourne Bridge:

Riverdale Zoo:

Last edited:
William James Sr. with stereoscope, 1906:

williamjames.jpg

From the William James fonds, 1908. Old Union Station:

unionstationstereo1908.jpg

Attachments

• williamjames.jpg
    williamjames.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 895
  • unionstationstereo1908.jpg
    unionstationstereo1908.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 904
Last edited:

thecharioteer - I was surprised to see your stereo-pair of the Riverdale Zoo featuring a display cannon.
I have an old home-move (c.1946) showing a young lad on that very cannon - movie frame attached:
"What goes around, comes around."

cannonatRiverdaleZoo1940s_zpsb4606d30.jpg

thecharioteer - I was surprised to see your stereo-pair of the Riverdale Zoo featuring a display cannon.
I have an old home-move (c.1946) showing a young lad on that very cannon - movie frame attached:
"What goes around, comes around."

cannonatRiverdaleZoo1940s_zpsb4606d30.jpg

Thanks, Goldie! The cannon is long gone, I assume.

Church steeples and the evolution of tall buildings created a new genre in photography of views from "above":

Back