News   Apr 25, 2024
 285     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 398     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 600     0 

VIA Rail

Forgot about the double-track in Guelph?

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

The second track that's practically invisible under the weeds? When the CTC goes in, there will be no double track. Just a control point at Silver Creek to let the GEXR local head up the old Fergus Sub. The east siding switch, if it remains, will be hand throw.

- Paul

The second track that's practically invisible under the weeds? When the CTC goes in, there will be no double track. Just a control point at Silver Creek to let the GEXR local head up the old Fergus Sub. The east siding switch, if it remains, will be hand throw.

- Paul

If that's the case, then that's news - my understanding from someone working on the project was that it was going to become CTC double-track from the outset.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

If that's the case, then that's news - my understanding from someone working on the project was that it was going to become CTC double-track from the outset.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Dan - it's another thing I would love to be wrong about ! My info dates from last December. The plant at Silver Creek is just about complete and there's no sign of it being a west end to the siding.... and when the signals were erected, the east end was conspicuously missed.

Considering it started as a VIA project, but seems to have both CN and GO with a hand in it, I wouldn't know who to ask for clarification these days :)

- Paul

Via Rail is the one to still contact. the last response I had from them via Twitter was that the CTC install would be completed by the end of this year.

VIA is responsible for the CTC installation on the line west of Kitchener. The line from Georgetown to Kitchener, however, is a GO/Metrolinx project.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Here's the current view of the east and west siding end points in Guelph. The east end has no signalling installed and the west end has what is clearly a block signal - and not a control signal. Considering the signals are now in place everywhere else, I don't believe this is an oversight. There was a rumour that the signalling would be turned on this year, but that seems unlikely considering the lack of progress to date. I have seen PNR guys doing work on some of the signals along this line.

The siding is getting some mature tree growth between the ties. The east end of the siding was upgraded when all the work was being done at the platform - I think it was used as a diverted main for a bit - but the rails disappear into the weeds just west of the platform.

- Paul
Guelph a.jpg
Guelph b.jpg

Attachments

• Guelph a.jpg
    Guelph a.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 812
  • Guelph b.jpg
    Guelph b.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 774
Everyone:

Will Justin Trudeau and the Liberals support Via Rail Canada expansion and service cut restorations?

I recall that VIA was a victim of Conservative cuts under Stephen Harper's watch - can VIA grow stronger under a Liberal government?

LI MIKE

I think it's fair to say that neglect of VIA has been a bipartisan affair for quite some time. It was hit hard during the Chretien/Martin cost-cutting era and then again under Harper.

That said, I'd be a little more optimistic about its fortunes under Trudeau. This is a PM who represents a deeply urban riding and with a deeply urban political base -- more so than Chretien, thanks to the addition of new seats. And who's said he'll work closely with two premiers (Wynne and Couillard) who are both big boosters of rail. I don't think we're about to see some gold-plated HSR plan, but some good news for VIA over the next few years seems very likely.

I think it's fair to say that neglect of VIA has been a bipartisan affair for quite some time. It was hit hard during the Chretien/Martin cost-cutting era and then again under Harper.

That said, I'd be a little more optimistic about its fortunes under Trudeau. This is a PM who represents a deeply urban riding and with a deeply urban political base -- more so than Chretien, thanks to the addition of new seats. And who's said he'll work closely with two premiers (Wynne and Couillard) who are both big boosters of rail. I don't think we're about to see some gold-plated HSR plan, but some good news for VIA over the next few years seems very likely.

I mean really, this has been happening since the 80's. The entire purpose of ViaRail was to save rail transit from declining service: CN and CP were not making money on it and they simply did not want to do it anymore.

The entire creation of Via was to ensure that rail transit still existed, but whenever you create a crown corporation to ensure something doesn't disappear completely, it will always be a "bare bones" service.

That being said, we are finally in an era where train travel is looking more and more like a viable option for getting around for various reasons (population growth, urbanization, environmentalism)

While I would like to see ViaRail bring back all the services lost over the years, I would like to see them be smarter about it.

Absolutely there should be transit to low-ridership areas, any government funded agency should try and fairly service everyone in the country. However, Via should purchase small DMU's like whats used on the UPX for this service. I used to take the train to Sarnia and would laugh at our tiny 2 car train being hauled by a huge GE Genesis. What a waste!

901-mt.jpg

However important services to fringe communities are, the focus right now should be on the Corridor and getting everything ready for High Speed services. The corridor is what helps fund all these fringe services. That being said, the current trains on the Corridor aren't even hitting their maximum speeds yet, and the focus should be first on creating dedicated trackage so that the current rolling stock Via has can actually hit its 99MPH speed limit.

Back