News   Apr 19, 2024
 21     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 447     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 780     3 

VIA Rail

I appreciate your responses but if electrification is out of the question, exactly how do you any of you propose to get London to Toronto in about 75 minutes as they were promised by QP?

Even if VIA says that was QP's idea and not theirs {which would be correct} how would you guys manage to significantly increase SWO speeds and reliability when all VIA says is higher frequencies will do the trick? All the frequencies in the world are not going to change the fact that the current route is the slow boat to China. When forced to take VIA, Ottawans can get to London England faster than they can to the London in their own province.

I appreciate your responses but if electrification is out of the question, exactly how do you any of you propose to get London to Toronto in about 75 minutes as they were promised by QP?

"promised by QP" is pretty close to an oxymoron.

The Collenette expedition is speculative, just like the many previous studies. And, like Christopher Columbus being sent off to find the way to China, there are a few things in the way. Some good may come from his study, but do not assume that QP was convinced of a solution when they commissioned his work.

PS - you won't achieve a solution by choosing a particular brand of train and waving it about like a magic wand. You have to break the line down into pieces and analyse how each piece affects running time. A curve here, a slow order there, a stop here.....the equipment choice is close to irrelevant. Heck, the OEM version of LRC was a 125 mph train that outperformed the HST. It just never got the tracks and related infrastructure to show its best form.

- Paul

Last edited:

Even if VIA says that was QP's idea and not theirs {which would be correct} how would you guys manage to significantly increase SWO speeds and reliability when all VIA says is higher frequencies will do the trick? All the frequencies in the world are not going to change the fact that the current route is the slow boat to China. When forced to take VIA, Ottawans can get to London England faster than they can to the London in their own province.

Again. Toronto-London was never part of the VIA proposal. You are holding them to a bar that they've never proposed. People really need to draw a distinction between the VIA's HFR proposal and Queen's Park's TKL proposal.

And if both come to fruition, Ottawa-London will go from a 7 hr train ride today (0r a 7 hr drive with Toronto traffic on most days) at its fastest (with most trips at 8-10 hrs) to all trips being under 5 hrs even with a possible connection at Union. If it's a continuous through service at union, travel time from Ottawa to London will be around 4.5 hrs.

And what if TKL doesn't happen? VIA HFR alone means Ottawa-London will be a max of 7 hrs with a connection and probably average around 6 hrs. That's a tremendous improvement on today, and still competitive with driving.

I love the stations or hut for Glencoe & Strathroy.

What a shame the existing Glencoe station has been relocated and not use, but being preserve. No idea if a station existed for Strathroy and if so, what happen to it??
32649667895_1880a02469_b.jpg

32649653435_64967886cb_b.jpg

32609011636_1872973b0c_b.jpg

31806716014_91264cf7e1_b.jpg

31806720844_91c5cf5143_b.jpg

31806773714_5047795daa_b.jpg

32609053866_353fb5b8b7_b.jpg

32527309711_22f596a49a_b.jpg

Another special wrap for Canada's 150th birthday
http://railpictures.net/photo/605514/

That looks much better than I was expecting before clicking the link. It was tacky enough for bureaucrats in Ottawa to demand that the maple leaf be added on to the side of the "VIA" logo. I'd glad that the designers at Metrolinx did not include the maple leaf on signage for the UP Express or at Union. keeping logos simple, minimalist, and easy to identify when navigating a busy place.

Still all better than Wyoming Train station.

They spend a good amount of time just lining up the doors with the platform when we stop at it.

Wyoming_STRSCH_9079_1-1280x854.jpg

wyoming1-jd.jpg

Changes coming to VIA's baggage policy in mid 2017
upload_2017-2-9_22-23-3.png
Whoa! My immediate thought is: Bike! All quality machines have quick release wheels, and the front wheel on classic road bikes pops off in seconds (hybrids and off-roads take a little longer due to the safety of recessed lugs, thus the need to unwind the QR spindle for a few more seconds). Once the front wheel is off, the handlebars go sideways, and the bike stands vertically in that space, taking very little room, certainly less than a cello or double bass. If really need be, the rear wheel pops off in about twenty seconds, one has to manually release the brakes and hang the chain off of the cassette or freewheel. Always best to leave rear wheel on when possible to keep the chain and components in place.

VIA would do well to promote that. I and friends would certainly take VIA a lot more often knowing that is available, and the security of being able to load and unload valuable machines without some ape throwing them around which happens when they go in the baggage car. Also not having to find a train with a baggage car (they're relatively rare and problematic in many ways, often arriving or leaving at the worst time of the day, you pay roughly $50 extra, and they take no liability. It's a *disincentive* to travel with a bike). France's and other nations' TGV have allowed bikes in bags for decades, and many UK cross-country expresses have spaces on each train for a limited number of bikes at the ends of coaches, albeit they must be reserved for a nominal fee, which is fine as it guarantees having a space.

This is really good news!

As a side question, do you play Sam? Curious to know how you ended up reading that in a musician's mag.

Attachments

• upload_2017-2-9_22-23-3.png
    upload_2017-2-9_22-23-3.png
    206.7 KB · Views: 1,118
Last edited:
I see Urban liked the comment. I scoured the web, couldn't find any more information, none on VIA's website, any link or comment you could add most welcome! I can't overemphasize how much this will appeal to cyclists with quality machines. (They must be able to stand vertically with the front wheel off)

and many UK cross-country expresses have spaces on each train for a limited number of bikes at the ends of coaches, albeit they must be reserved for a nominal fee, which is fine as it guarantees having a space.

A wise stipulation, as I once witnessed a near-fistfight as a cyclist, and passengers with bags and dogs squared off to claim the bicycle rack space on a standing-room-only DMU train in Scotland.

- Paul

I see Urban liked the comment. I scoured the web, couldn't find any more information, none on VIA's website, any link or comment you could add most welcome! I can't overemphasize how much this will appeal to cyclists with quality machines. (They must be able to stand vertically with the front wheel off)

I use VIA tons to go between Oakville and London and wish there was a way to bring bikes on the train, as London has some really great cycling paths. Glad to see some progress on this.

I hope VIA's new fleet for HFR incorporates bike spaces too. Florida's Brightline has done this very well, and I would like to see VIA emulate it. With rumours of Siemens bidding to build VIA's new fleet, maybe similar designs will be used if they are selected?

Bike-Rack-2.jpg

The key is to also provide sufficient luggage space that passengers don't feel the need to stack suitcases in the bike rack. Cycling is great, but one bicycle takes up a relatively large proportion of the available space in a crowded rail car. If the bike space is as revenue producing as the seating is, that's great - but if one is enforcing an unpopular restriction on hand luggage at the same time, it's a recipe for annoyance as the two demands compete for space.

I see Brightline is designing for open racks above the seats.....that's a better design than closed compartments, which, while they may look airplane like, restrict what one can do with carryon size bags.

- Paul

Back